Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does the installation stop?

Beans

Re: Why does the installation stop?

Now I managed to boot from USB and can get to the live-desktop. With disabled graphics or 'nomodeset' I even got to the partition table, and it even started installing, but so slowly, it probably would have taken 8 hours. Through my experiments it seems clear that it doesn't have to do with the DVD/CD drive, because I can reproduce the problem with USB as well. I tried it again and it stopped if I check 'third party software' and it often stops after the partition table. With nomodeset I managed a full installation, but then I had no keyboard or mouse. I read a lot of errors about 'irq handler vector'. Does that mean anything? One installation worked but the the computer was incredibly slow,
    Last edited by LuJo; February 16th, 2017 at 05:32 PM.

Beans

It works now. It took three weeks and it was three things. Nouveau graphic driver, LAN problem, and hardware in the sense that a BIOS update solved all three! BIOS helped fixed the LAN which enabled the download of the nvidia graphic drivers during the installation (with nomodeset). OpenSuse has an extra window during installation that warns about nouveau, and where you can reject or accept it, but it still didn't work for me, maybe because I had no internet. The 'wicked' internet programm from OpenSuse was a disaster for my board. So it looks like I will stay with Ubuntu for a while unless I get very bored, because I much prefer Gnome. Thanks for the suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12