Thread: Server 16.04 NFS problem: statd not starting

Beans

Server 16.04 NFS problem: statd not starting

Building 16.04 NFS server to replace one running 14.04. User's home directory is hosted via NFS. For testing, rsync'd user's complete home directory to the new server, edited fstab to point (temporarily) at the new server, rebooted. /etc/exports contains the same line in both servers.

User logon takes over a minute; opening a web page takes twice that: completely unusable. syslog has a stream of messages like this (where "servername" is the host name of the server, which is in /etc/hosts)
    Code:
    localhost kernel: [  344.087213] lockd: cannot monitor servername
    Researching, found it may be a statd problem, and verified via ps that it's not running. Tried running statd in server foreground via sudo rpc.statd -Fd. The "cannot monitor" messages disappear, user logon is now a second or two ... everything is fine.

So I stopped statd, expecting things to go bad again; they don't. statd is definitely not running, but user performance is still OK. Very puzzling.

I don't think I should have to put rpc.statd into one of the startup scripts, though of course I could. Surely it's supposed to start automatically with NFS?

Advice as to what I've done wrong, and what I should do to put it right, would be very gratefully received.

Beans

Re: Server 16.04 NFS problem: statd not starting

Found it, I think. This forum entry http://askubuntu.com/questions/77131...pcbind-on-boot indicates that Bug #1558196 causes this. It's fixed in release 0.2.3-0.4 of rpcbind, apparently, but Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has 0.2.3-0.2 so you need to implement the work-round described in the bug description.

I've done this and NFS performance seems normal.

Beans

I spoke too soon. I tested NFS just by mounting a directory and doing ls -lR on it, which plainly didn't exercise something: locking I should imagine. When I exported user home directories via NFS the "cannot monitor" messages came back and performance hit the floor.

Beans

Well, I give up. It's something to do with the message that appears in syslog "Failed to read /var/lib/nfs/state: Success" and rpc.lockd is no longer running. I put rpc.lockd into /etc/rc.local, so that it starts at boot, and NFS performance for users is now normal.

There should be a better way of fixing this, but I've spent two days on it already. It's a brand-new Ubuntu Server 16.04 installation (I re-did it again yesterday, to be sure) so it's not something I've done.

Beans

For completeness I'm adding more to this despite marking it "solved". I just built another 16.04 server today and exactly the same thing happens. I have cured it in the same way.

Beans

I've run into a similar issue with Server 16.04.1 and NFS.
    NFS is starting but having issues. User home directory shared via NFS and is not even usable because of the lockd related errors.
    Errors:
    Feb 15 11:19:12 myserver kernel: [ 6620.949565] lockd: cannot monitor myhost
    Feb 15 11:19:18 myserver kernel: [ 6626.965202] lockd: cannot monitor myhost
    Feb 15 11:19:24 myserver kernel: [ 6632.980803] lockd: cannot monitor myhost

However, I've found a slightly different solution than you have mentioned here - just start up rpc.statd.

Details:
    I noticed that rpc.statd wasn't running which seemed to relate to these errors. When starting it by hand, it cured the issues. Now working to assure it gets started up at boot time.

Server details - my 16.04.1 install is fairly recent - from December.
    Please cue me if more details would be helpful.

Ubuntu version:
    # lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
    Release: 16.04
    Codename: xenial

NFS packages are up to date -

# apt show nfs-common
    Package: nfs-common
    Version: 1:1.2.8-9ubuntu12
    Priority: optional
    Section: net
    Source: nfs-utils
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian kernel team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 734 kB
    Provides: nfs-client
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15), libcap2 (>= 1:2.10), libcomerr2 (>= 1.01), libdevmapper1.02.1 (>= 2:1.02.97), libevent-2.0-5 (>= 2.0.10-stable), libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.12.1+dfsg-2), libkeyutils1 (>= 1.4), libkrb5-3 (>= 1.6.dfsg.2), libmount1 (>= 2.19.1), libnfsidmap2, libtirpc1 (>= 0.2.4), libwrap0 (>= 7.6-4~), init-system-helpers (>= 1.18~), lsb-base (>= 4.1+Debian11ubuntu7), rpcbind (>= 0.2.0-6ubuntu1), adduser, ucf, initscripts (>= 2.88dsf-13.10ubuntu1), keyutils
    Recommends: python
    Suggests: open-iscsi, watchdog
    Conflicts: nfs-client
    Breaks: nfs-kernel-server (<< 1:1.2.8-9ubuntu7~)
    Replaces: mount (<< 2.13~), nfs-client, nfs-kernel-server (<< 1:1.2.8-9ubuntu7~)
    Homepage: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/
    Supported: 5y
    Download-Size: 185 kB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
    Description: NFS support files common to client and server
    Use this package on any machine that uses NFS, either as client or
    server. Programs included: lockd, statd, showmount, nfsstat, gssd,
    idmapd and mount.nfs.

# apt show nfs-kernel-server
    Package: nfs-kernel-server
    Version: 1:1.2.8-9ubuntu12
    Priority: optional
    Section: net
    Source: nfs-utils
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian kernel team <debian-kernel@lists.debian.org>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 487 kB
    Provides: knfs, nfs-server
    Depends: libblkid1 (>= 2.16), libc6 (>= 2.15), libcap2 (>= 1:2.10), libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.5.9), libtirpc1 (>= 0.2.4), libwrap0 (>= 7.6-4~), init-system-helpers (>= 1.18~), nfs-common (= 1:1.2.8-9ubuntu12), ucf, lsb-base (>= 1.3-9ubuntu3)
    Conflicts: knfs, nfs-server
    Replaces: knfs, nfs-server
    Homepage: http://nfs.sourceforge.net/
    Supported: 5y
    Download-Size: 88.0 kB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
    Description: support for NFS kernel server
    The NFS kernel server is currently the recommended NFS server for use
    with Linux, featuring features such as NFSv3 and NFSv4, Kerberos
    support via GSS, and much more. It is also significantly faster and
    usually more reliable than the user-space NFS servers (from the
    unfs3 and nfs-user-server packages). However, it is more difficult to
    debug than the user-space servers, and has a slightly different
    feature set.
    This package contains the user-space support needed to use the
    NFS kernel server. Most administrators wishing to set up an NFS server
    would want to install this package.

Beans

Indeed; the same problem precisely. I too am making sure it "starts at boot time", except I'm using the lazy way: /etc/rc.local! I can't find out why it's either stopping after boot or not starting at all. There is nothing in syslog other than that obscure message about /var/lib/nfs/state.

Beans

Interesting. I see a similar message just once in my logs despite multiple reboots and statd being started by hand at first, then by the service changes below multiple times:
    Feb 15 11:23:55 myserver rpc.statd[17964]: Failed to read /var/lib/nfs/state: Success

When I looked at this sequence of posts and the ones linked in and from the related bug reports linked in, I saw references for lockd and rpcbind having the issue... in my case, I was seeing statd as the missing piece. lockd was running just fine.
    There was such a mixing of the rpcbind, lockd and more in these posts and the starting issues weren't quite exactly matching my case or what I was seeing. Therefore, initially I missed one of the suggested workarounds not thinking it was applicable. Your follow up to my earlier comments made me go back again to take a closer look and find that indeed there was a workaround that could help me.

For me, this workaround is working (followed by a reboot) on several systems we've tested:
    systemctl add-wants multi-user.target rpc-statd.service

Before adjusting to the workaround above using "add-wants", I initially just enabled the rpc-statd.service using systemctl not worrying about the dependency which also made statd start on reboot as needed.

And so far, NFS testing is successful following the small workaround above to get statd up and running.

Beans

Hmm. I tried the "systemctl add-wants" fix, having found it in the same slightly random way that you did, and as I recall it didn't help. But I confess I was rattling around slightly at the time and I should go back and do it again in a more systematic way. You know what it's like, though: you find something ugly that fixes your problem, and immediately the heat is off and you move on to other more pressing things ...

Beans

Sounds like we've traveled the same path... and I can totally understand how finding a fix, even if it feels a bit rough, means that something like this doesn't get the detailed attention in follow up! More pressing things almost always abound.
    Make sure it's the "right" add-wants... as I mentioned, for me it was statd that I needed to add, as rpcbind and lockd were already running and not the source of my issue. Perhaps you just need a different argument for that workaround.

BTW - I appreciate your recent creation of this thread and posting on this front, as it caused me to dig in a bit in a different way and find what appears to be a better, more standardized solution.