Thread: How does commands are executed in Linux wihtout any prefix or other command?

Beans

Lightbulb How does commands are executed in Linux wihtout any prefix or other command?

In linux everything is in the form of a file. So if you want to do anything you need to have a reference of the file where you want to perform a task
    Like in shell scripting if you want to execute a script you need to write 'sh myscript.sh' or './myscript'
    I am not sure but I think there must be some script or code written for each and every command in linux
    So if you want to run a command like "mkdir" you can directly write and execute without the reference of the directory or without a prefix cammand like 'sh' in shell script
    So can anyone please tell me how this actually works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How does commands are executed in Linux wihtout any prefix or other command?

Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How does commands are executed in Linux wihtout any prefix or other command?

Welcome to the forums.

PATH environment variable. Almost every other OS (Windows/OSX/Unix/iOS/Android/ ..... MVS) uses this method too.

There are many books that cover this. The Linux Command Line is a book which explains this and hundreds of other things about the way Linux really works. Free, no-hassle, download. There are also beginning Linux/Unix training classes for free at EdX and LinuxFoundation.

And just to clarify ... everything is not "a file", there are "processes" too. Files and processes - that's the ticket.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Any executable file, binary or shell script, which is sitting in one of the system $PATH directories, will work when the name is typed in terminal; you do not then have to give the full pathway to the executable file.

You can see which are your $PATH directories with command
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    which in Ubuntu family OSs will be
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
    plus /home/username/bin folder in your home if you have created it and have put any executables in that folder.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 8th, 2017 at 07:15 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the help
    Very nice explaination 😁😁
    Got the answer of my query