Thread: Liking Ubuntu 16.04 better than windows 10

Beans

Liking Ubuntu 16.04 better than windows 10

I've worked with Ubuntu for a number of years and recently had to dual boot Windows 10 Home to get Path of Exile working properly on my laptop, a Dell 3340 laptop with a fourth gen core i5, ssd and 8 gigs of ram. This gave me a direct comparison between the two operating systems and Ubuntu is doing a good job.

-Ubuntu starts up faster
    -Ubuntu feels faster
    -Chrome starts faster in Ubuntu
    -Chrome tabs open and render much faster in Ubuntu
    -Much more battery life in Ubuntu, something like 13 hours instead of 8 hours (this is with windows antivirus and cortana disabled)
    -Ubuntu "plays nice" with the master boot record, making for easier dual boot
    -Ubuntu automatically retrieves proper time on setup, with windows I have to manually switch retrieve time every restart
    -Easy for me to uninstall services that consume unnecessary cpu in Ubuntu, like avahi daemon and cups server, whereas in Windows I had to registry hack disable them(and cortana process still shows up)
    -Full work environment setup in Ubuntu (which includes windows programs working through Wine)
    -Games like Hearthstone, Warcraft 3 and Aardwolf mud work emulated in Ubuntu
    -better "space management" in Ubuntu, my precious ssd space isn't taken up by 1GB driver backups from NVidia GeForce Eperience (my egpu will be NVidia hence I had to readup). I can't blame Windows for that but they have epic "temp app whatever" directories and their OS is massive GBs
    -Ubuntu installed without issue, Windows 10 on first startup wouldn't let me login with the password I set so I had to hack in by setting the utilities button to open an admin command prompt. Windows also overwrote the master boot record.
    -Windows 10 by default tries to "torrent" my updates to other people and use my upload bandwidth which I had to disable
    -Windows 10 has full DirectX 12 support and Path of Exile runs well without crashing at 800x600, on Ubuntu it crashes
    -Chromecast "cast tab" didn't work on Ubuntu and did work on Windows 10
    -Skype web works well on Windows 10, on Ubuntu I don't quite think it does

So yeah very good experience Ubuntu is my main desktop thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Liking Ubuntu 16.04 better than windows 10

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

What laptop do you use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

OP has not been back since the day after they posted, so thread closed to prevent further necromancy.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.