Thread: Curious USB drive issue

Beans

Exclamation Curious USB drive issue

Hey everyone. I am relatively new to the Ubuntu scene and am learning it due to its usefulness in my current line of study in Computer Science. I may dis-include information you need to answer this question and if that is the case, please do no hesitate to ask for it .

So i have this strange issue. My girlfriend has a 1TB external drive formatted to NTFS. I wanted to permanently mount it to my Ubuntu server. So i did all the procedures as per normal and no issues. It runs fine.

However, when i attempt to start the computer with the device plugged in, it hangs forever slightly before the system checks for drives etc. It displays the processor and bios information and that is all. Upon further inspection, i discovered it was the presence of the external drive in ANY USB port that caused this issue. Once it gets to where it usually hangs, the next line reads 'memory testing..... OK' or something to that effect so my intuition inclines me to think it might have something to do with the memory on the drive. I have ran every conceivable test on it in both Linux and windows and it passes with flying colours. Also, once i have passed this little part, the drive works perfectly.

So i was wondering does anyone have any ideas on what i can do about this? I mean, i am happy for a work around just so i dont have to keep plugging it in all the time. Perhaps someone knows a way for me to bypass a particular drive in this memory test?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Again, i apologise if i am vague. This is my first time really posting.

Cheers.

EDIT: I just also found that plugging the drive in at other parts of the boot process sometimes, not always, causes a freeze.
    Last edited by blackout182; February 6th, 2017 at 12:44 AM.