Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mir/unity 8 preview busted and not useable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

mir/unity 8 preview busted and not useable

Unity8 previews has progressively become worse. I cannot send a screenshot but the icons in the apps windows are clipped on the top and the bottom. The apps will not work correctly and the mouse pointer is dragging like a snail. This after todays update/upgrade and yes .. I did re-boot. This on a Nvidia graphics machine with zesty commit from beggining.Unity7 is working well though.

Regards..

Beans

Re: mir/unity 8 preview busted and not useable

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Unity7 is working well though.

Regards..
    I found unity7 to have some issues, many surrounding the lack of any zeitgeist logging or activity which makes various Dash lens useless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      dbus-test-runner libdbustest1 libdrm-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libpthread-stubs0-dev libqt5opengl5-dev libwayland-bin libwayland-dev libx11-dev libx11-doc libx11-xcb-dev libxau-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev
      libxcb-glx0-dev libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxcb1-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxshmfence-dev libxxf86vm-dev mesa-common-dev parallel python3-dbusmock
      qt5-default qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools sysstat unity8-tests x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-dri2-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev xorg-sgml-doctools
      xtrans-dev xvfb
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      binutils gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0 gnome-desktop3-data libgnome-desktop-3-12 libtorrent-rasterbar9 libubuntugestures5 libubuntumetrics5 libubuntutoolkit5 libunity-api0 python-libtorrent qml-module-ubuntu-components qml-module-ubuntu-components-labs
      qml-module-ubuntu-layouts qml-module-ubuntu-performancemetrics qml-module-ubuntu-test qtdeclarative5-qtmir-plugin qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-ui-toolkit-plugin qtmir-desktop ubuntu-ui-toolkit-theme unity8 unity8-common unity8-private vivaldi-snapshot
    23 upgraded, 52 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 75,4 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 76,3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    No comment...
    Code:
    :~$ sudo apt purge -s unity8
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      dbus-test-runner libdbustest1 libdrm-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libpthread-stubs0-dev libqt5opengl5-dev libwayland-bin libwayland-dev libx11-dev libx11-doc libx11-xcb-dev libxau-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev
      libxcb-glx0-dev libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxcb1-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxshmfence-dev libxxf86vm-dev mesa-common-dev parallel python3-dbusmock
      qt5-default qt5-qmake qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools qtubuntu-appmenutheme x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-dri2-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev xorg-sgml-doctools
      xtrans-dev
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      unity8* unity8-common* unity8-desktop-session* unity8-tests*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Purg unity8-tests [8.15+17.04.20170206-0ubuntu1] [unity8-common:amd64 ]
    Purg unity8 [8.15+17.04.20170206-0ubuntu1] [unity8-desktop-session:amd64 unity8-common:amd64 ]
    Purg unity8-common [8.15+17.04.20170206-0ubuntu1] [unity8-desktop-session:amd64 ]
    Purg unity8-desktop-session [1.0.13+17.04.20170110.1-0ubuntu1]
    Last edited by zika; February 7th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Unity8 previews has progressively become worse. I cannot send a screenshot but the icons in the apps windows are clipped on the top and the bottom. The apps will not work correctly and the mouse pointer is dragging like a snail. This after todays update/upgrade and yes .. I did re-boot. This on a Nvidia graphics machine with zesty commit from beggining.Unity7 is working well though.

Regards..
    This breakage also on Intel chipsets.

Beans
    Distro

zika, the extra -dev packages issue is bug 1662608

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    zika, the extra -dev packages issue is bug 1662608
    Seen that. Thank You.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Still busted. Can upload screenshots. Freeze ups. Worse than ever. Oh joy

Beans
    Distro

Just on a side note .. it is working somewhat on 16.10 with good functionality .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

sGreetings,
    I am testing Unity 8 on a new low end Lenovo with the Intel chip set. If I was too negative about Unity 8 elsewhere, I take it back. It is actually starting to look like something I may want for a desktop. I am running it with 17.04 and the 4.10 kernel with Proposed enabled. They could have something usable by release time. If the bare necessities work I may make the switch.
    In addition I agree that Unity 7 with few exceptions is first class in the Zesty edition. Everything is working perfect for me including, Fn Keys, HDMI, sound and video, WIFI and Bluetooth, Sleep and Awake is instantaneous, no Apport pop-ups, it is all perfect.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    sGreetings,
    I am testing Unity 8 on a new low end Lenovo with the Intel chip set. If I was too negative about Unity 8 elsewhere, I take it back. It is actually starting to look like something I may want for a desktop. I am running it with 17.04 and the 4.10 kernel with Proposed enabled. They could have something usable by release time. If the bare necessities work I may make the switch.
    In addition I agree that Unity 7 with few exceptions is first class in the Zesty edition. Everything is working perfect for me including, Fn Keys, HDMI, sound and video, WIFI and Bluetooth, Sleep and Awake is instantaneous, no Apport pop-ups, it is all perfect.
    Did you install it using a new /daily/ ISO?

Regards..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast