Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i thought linux ubuntu 16.10 was better than windows 10 ??? lagging unimaginably

Beans

i thought linux ubuntu 16.10 was better than windows 10 ??? lagging unimaginably

i purchased a HP Proliant DL380 G7 2X2.93GHz 64GB RAM and installed both ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10. They both have a horrid lagging problem.

I HAVE:

i. downloaded ccsm (CompizConfigManagerSettings) and unchecked the sync to vblank,

ii. installed the solution ppa:vanvugt/compiz by Daniel van vugt.

All to no avail.

The mouse lags and when playing videos on mozilla youtube the sound is out of sync when using logitech usb headset.

HOWEVER I also have an acer laptop and I can run ubuntu 16.10 from a bootable usb with no problems whatsoever (except possibly weaker wifi signal than when running from windows 10.)

Since I used the same ubuntu bootable usb on both the HP and Acer, there is something (hardware/driver) in/on the acer laptop that is different than the hp server that is causing this difference.

How can I remedy this problem... i.e. remove the lag on the hp server?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: i thought linux ubuntu 16.10 was better than windows 10 ??? lagging unimaginably

Ubuntu with Unity desktop is quite graphics intensive. So let's look at what graphics hardware you're dealing with.

According to this, your machine has a integrated AMD graphics card. AMD graphics can be tricky in recent versions of Ubuntu.

Are you able to run a lighter flavor of Ubuntu, such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu?
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: i thought linux ubuntu 16.10 was better than windows 10 ??? lagging unimaginably

That GPU is an actual ATI unit from before ATI was bought by AMD. That thing is so old the only driver that will run it is the open source Radeon driver. At best, its performance will be just enough to run a desktop.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: i thought linux ubuntu 16.10 was better than windows 10 ??? lagging unimaginalby

halogen 2, QIII

1. Thanks for your prompt response.
    2. I apologize for my ignorance.
    3. I will attempt to run Xubuntu or Lubuntu, however according to halogen2 that may not solve my problem??
    4. What are my options? How can I get my server to behave like my acer? If the answer is impossible or infeasible, then is there a way that I can put a lightweight weight gui on it so that I can develop web applications?

-thanks so much
    john

X5570 -2.93 GHz Quad-Core
    Last edited by howefield; February 12th, 2017 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't have a GUI on my headless server and I develop web applications on it from my primary machine. All of the files and the databases reside on the server. I use SSH, use MySQL Workbench to remotely administer the databases and use Bluefish to modify the text files. From my primary machine, I use a web browser pointed at the URL inside my LAN to check my work.

There's not even a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to the server. That server of yours has that wimpy GPU because some folks like at least some GUI for Windows servers. But even then it can be the barest minimum. You need nothing at all for Linux.

What I'm saying is that if what you have said is your intended purpose, there's really no need to fret about that ancient GPU. You don't even need it.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

QIII,

1. thanks. Originally I tried headless, and tried remote login and a vnc client however the time and graphics rendering was horrible. so I decided to bite the bullet and get a monitor, but then I ran into this problem.

Later I may ask you more details of how your system is set up for developing web apps. In particular ... " From my primary machine, I use a web browser pointed at the URL inside my LAN to check my work." Now I have to sleep.

2. In the event that I wanted to get my server to perform like my acer, what would I need to do? New hardware ?? If so what is your recommendation or could you point me in the direction of my next step to accomplish this task?

most appreciative, john

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Sleep well. Others will be around to help if I'm not.

Just to give you something to think about. Details later if someone does not beat me to it.

I live in Oregon. My blog site is hosted on a machine in Seattle, Washington. Although I use a CMS for the blog site to cut down on the amount of maintenance and design I need to do, I do make modifications from time to time. Using the CP provided by the host is insecure and I won't do it. Using the GUI tools provided by the CMS software over the web is dangerous and insecure and I don't do that.

But I certainly do not drive 250 miles to Seattle when I want to work on the site.

I can sit at my machine at home and do all that stuff. Rather than the insecure stuff I use other, more secure, tools to make modifications -- to develop -- from here. I do not have to be anywhere near the machine. And I don't need a monitor attached to it.

In a similar fashion, the home server on my network where I do web development has no monitor, keyboard or mouse attached. It's not near my desk. I use the same exact secure tools (it's always best to stay in the habit of security even at home) to do development when I'm at home in exactly the same manner.

In neither case am I at all concerned about the graphics performance of the server. It's zero. What is important is the graphics performance of my primary computer on my desk, on which I use a web browser to view my work.

I also don't use anything as insecure as VNC or any remote desktop application at all. I don't need to. With Linux, you need to free yourself from the notion that you need a GUI on a server. That's not a common approach in our world.
    Last edited by QIII; February 5th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.

Beans

Awake,but have to go to work in 7 minutes.

1. I am on board with the web development solution you outlined. Thanks
    2. If I wanted to try some rendering like with blender, how do I need to modify my setup? I know that I need to educate myself on specs e.g. gpu's etc I will start immediately.
    What do I need to buy ?

thanks in advance, john

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lots of choices . . . can coordinate with Ubuntu supported desktops, laptops and servers. Exceptional support & trouble ticket system: https://system76.com/
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

How can I get my server to behave like my acer?
    Install a graphics card that can do 3D and video decode acceleration.

If I wanted to try some rendering like with blender, how do I need to modify my setup?
    Install a very powerful graphics card that can do 3D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast