Thread: Just Scratching my head, I guess I will never know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just Scratching my head, I guess I will never know.

I'm thinking it has been about 17 years that I have been using Linux and have never had to worry about malware, virus' or anyone hacking into my computer. Let me tell you what happened the other day.
    First, let me say, I switched from Ubuntu with a Gnome desktop too Linux Mint with a Cinnamon desktop. After a month or so, I wasn't so sure I liked it over what I was using before.
    Okay, back to telling you what happened.

I don't know how it happened but it appeared that someone hacked into my Google Account because I could not use Chrome Browser. Tabs keep opening would not let me get to my browser setting or extensions or clear browser data.
    I tried completely removing it but as soon as I went to any browser the problem was in there. Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, it was in all of them. I finally uninstalled every browser and tried working with just Chromium but when it asked me to sign into my Google Account I tried a different account. This worked. I could do whatever I wanted but could not change anything in my account.

Next, I log in to my account and the problem was back again. The way I have my computers setup I can do a fresh install of any OS and reinstall all the software I use in just a little over an hour. So I went that route. I keep all my data online so I don't worry about losing anything. My thought was if the problem was in my Google account then doing a fresh install will not help.
    I didn't install Linux Mint but went back to Ubuntu 19.04 with Gnome desktop.

Now I am sitting here scratching my head because everything is working great again. The only difference is I didn't install Chrome Browser but am using Chromium and Firefox browsers. I guess I will never know what happened?
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Just Scratching my head, I guess I will never know.

Gnome and KDE have options build in that can log into your Google, MSN, and Facebook accounts (if you so choose). I'm not really familiar with Cinnamon, but I believe it is a customized Gnome3 interface (like Budgie).

Is is possible your OS was logging you in under a different account?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

also linux machines can still get hacked and browsers are basically the same in windows and linux and most hacks these days go via browsers, not through media (floppy or USB drive) and then to OS.

also keeping data online is not really a guarantee. i have it more like secondary backup. most cloud service providers lost files and emails or accidentally deleted them.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I hope you immediately changed ALL your passwords.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Once in a while, I will get a message from Hulu, or Netflix telling me someone is using my account down in Tim-Buck-To or someplace I have never heard of. And they ask me to change my password. With all this going on, I get a little worried about online banking.
    As far as files online, I don't have files that I could not live without. I'm 80, am I going to take them with me?
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Here's some suggestions:
    - Check your login history- https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en
    - Disable all your app passwords if you have any
    - Log out of all active connections
    - Setup two step authentication which requires someone to also have your cellphone to login
    - Change your password if you haven't already
    - Check your Sent Items in Gmail and verify you don't see anything odd
    - Check your Google History and just see if there's any odd activity
    - Check your Google Drive and Photos to verify no one is using your account to store nefarious content

If none of this yields anything possibly it's just a hiccup on Google's part. I've been within the Google umbrella for almost 20 years and have seen it do some really funky things. The more ingrained you are into their system the more you'll notice their glitches.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS