Thread: Guide on how to join Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Microsoft Active Directory using PBIS

Beans

Guide on how to join Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Microsoft Active Directory using PBIS

Hi everyone,

Here is a guide on how to join Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to the Microsoft Active Directory using Beyond Trust's Power Broker Identity Services Open version.

I'm using wired network, so connect your computer to the Ethernet port on the pc before attempting the following.

1. Freshly installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or sometimes already in production can also work but I would suggest use virtual images to check the outcomes before doing anything in production.
    2. Go to softwares and updates > other updates and enable canonical partners and canonical partners (source code).
    3. open terminal and do "sudo apt-get install likewise-open"
    4. sudo apt-get update
    5. sudo apt-get install ssh
    6. sudo reboot (system restarts)
    7. Login again
    8. Open browser and go to https://github.com/BeyondTrust/pbis-open/releases. Download the download file for your supported architecture. Mine is pbis-open-8.5.2.265.linux.x86_64.deb.sh.

9. open terminal
    10. cd /Downloads
    11. sudo chmod +x pbis-open-8.5.2.265.linux.x86_64.deb.sh
    12. sudo ./pbis-open-8.5.2.265.linux.x86_64.deb.sh
    13. After installing it might open a gui based domain join window. If not then later enter sudo ./domainjoin-gui
    14. Enter your domain name into the Domain field and press join domain.
    15. You will get a warning saying restart is required to join the domain. that's good news. Close it.
    16. After close all boxes that appear
    17. in the terminal enter sudo nano /etc/pam.d/common-session and under the two lines enter these two lines more: "allow-guest=false" and "greeter-show-manual-login=true". Exit and Save it.
    18 sudo nano /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-unity-greeter.conf
    19 find the line "session optional pam..." something after pam I don't remember and replace it with "session [success=ok default=ignore] pam..." something after pam, keep that pam word the same. Save and Exit
    20 sudo nano /etc/sudoers
    21 Find "root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" and under it put the admin account you are using "adminaccountname ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" and save and exit.
    22. Done!
    23. sudo reboot
    24 You see a login option in the screen. now you login like this "domainname\domainusername" and then password in the password field.

Done!

This should work +95% of the time.

Note: If your gui does not open restart the machine and try again. Sometime there is an error libglade2-0. See that you have the latest of it "sudo apt-get install libglade2-0".

If there are any issues please let me know and I might be able to help.

Arsalan
    Network Engineer
    Last edited by arsalanj123; January 27th, 2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: better instructions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Guide on how to join Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Microsoft Active Directory using PBIS

Welcome to the forums. Impressive 1st post.

Lots of extra steps that aren't necessary.

2. Go to Software and Updates > Other updates and enable canonical partners and canonical partners (source code).
    3. open a terminal
    4. sudo apt update # apt is the new apt-get
    5. sudo apt install ssh likewise-open fail2ban # ssh is a metapackage with both openssh client and server
    6. reboot probably not needed

Most instances of sudo nano should use sudoedit instead. It is safer and uses whatever EDITOR the user has defined.
    Modifying the sudoers (step 20) should **always, always, always** use visudo.

Don't know what installing ssh has to do with this task. Not a terrible idea, just not related. Whenever ssh is installed, would be smart to also install some brute-force attack protection like fail2ban or denyhosts and configure it. The defaults for fail2ban are reasonable for ssh. Don't know about denyhosts.

I've seen SSSD used for this purpose (using AD for login authentication). It is F/LOSS. Requires editing a few config files as normal Unix daemons often do.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/sssd-ad.html and
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Enterprise/Authentication/sssd

More options are good. Thanks for posting.