Thread: Does Xara LX still exist?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Does Xara LX still exist?

Hi, I've just made the momentous switch over from Windows, and seem to be on stable ground this time (I have tried more than once in the past). One of my favorite Windows programs is/was Xara. I had an ancient free version of it (Xara XS) running on my old XP machine, and I used that a lot back int he day. Now I can have the same program going on a virtual machine here, but of course it would be nice to get it (or even a better version) on the main system. So, I've looked around, but can't find any up-to-date information on downloading it.

I just saw a previous post from 2015, which made it sound rather like it wasn't being maintained any more. Is this true, and if so, what do y'all recommend as alternatives?

Thanks in advance, obvs

Beans

Re: Does Xara LX still exist?

http://www.xaralx.org/ - source hasn't been maintained since 2007... alternatives include inkscape and blender - there are more just a google away

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Inkscape and Gimp are both available from the repository . Inkskape vector based.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi both, and thanks for replying. Yes, I've already installed GIMP, and put Inkscape and Blender on just now, but I'm not familiar with any of them of course, and looking for something that I feel comfortable. Are there any particularly recommended tutorials for picking up Inkscape and Blender? GIMP is similar to Photoshop, isn't it?

In the meantime, I do want to persevere with trying to get Xara until I'm fully convinced that it's hopeless. I of course did see that page for Xara, and downloaded both the .package and .tar.bz2 files, but I really don't know what to do with them, and don't trust myself (which seems sensible enough right now). I saw that there is/was some application called autopackage for .package fiies, but it looks like that also might now be obsolete itself! And then for .tar.bz2, I've found this page:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/25961...r-tar-bz2-file

but the unpacked folder doesn't appear to have any readme file or other instructions. So I'm a bit stuck really

Sorry if I'm being stupid! I'm just a little bit scared of doing things completely by trial and error. Maybe I should stop being stubborn and just accept it if Xara is gone.
    Last edited by heatopher2; January 24th, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Multimedia Software.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Hi heatopher2!

I've been working to get XaraLX back into some kind of runnable state. It's taken me a while but I finally have it running on Ubuntu 16.10 using standard installed packages, and a reasonable(ish) autoconfig script. If you need additional help above what the README.org provides feel free to open a github ticket. I'm pretty awful switching from one project to another, letting previous projects drop. But at the moment I'm dedicating quite a bit of time on this one so there's some chance of me getting back to you. Still a ton of work to get it into a supportable state. Keep an eye on the README.org for updates.

https://github.com/earl-ducaine/xara-lx.git

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On the GIMP comment, yes, it is capable of being full replacement of Photoshop and very easy to use actually. All the tools have similar functionality as it is in photoshop. For tutorials just browse Devianart or any gfx site, you will find them in abundance as PS and GIMP hold similar tools and functions.

http://www.deviantart.com/newest/?se...rials+for+gimp
    Please mark the thread as ''solved'' if your query has been resolved.
    How to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads