Thread: A question about additional driver amd64-microcode (proprietary)

Beans

A question about additional driver amd64-microcode (proprietary)

Hi all,
    I have a 2 core AMD laptop running Xubunty 64bit. In the "Additional Drivers", there is a choice to use this driver: "using processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs for amd64-microcode (proprietary).
    Before I click the ok to use this driver, I wanted to get some opinions on it. What is it and should I install it or not? Will it improve my laptop in someway? Or is there a risk to using it? Thanks.
    Last edited by waltd; January 24th, 2017 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: A question about additional driver amd64-microcode (proprietary)

So-called microcode is a closed-source unit delivered by AMD without the option to review. It might deliver (a marginal?) performance boost, it might invade your privacy. Noone knows - well, someone knows but you can't be sure that they are telling you the whole truth.

I tend to stay away from microcode unless I have a specific problem that I am trying to solve.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waltd View Post
    ... What is it and should I install it or not? Will it improve my laptop in someway?
    It is an update to the code already running inside your CPU, microcode updates are generally released to fix/improve issues with the original cpu firmware.

There are probably release notes online that you can search out, I don't readily have links.

I prefer to run it albeit improvements are probably imperceptible.

Beans

Thank you.