Thread: Ubuntu Dell laptops vs System76 for Ubuntu laptop

Beans

Ubuntu Dell laptops vs System76 for Ubuntu laptop

Hi all,
    I'm going to buy a new high-end laptop with a HD or 4K, 17 inch screen. I prefer an Intel processor and NVidia graphics card because I read they work the best with Linux. Whom should I buy a new laptop from: Dell, System76 or somewhere else? Thanks.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Dell laptops vs System76 for Ubuntu laptop

Sys76 has 3 series with 17" screens, 2 of them (bonobo & serval) use desktop cpu's. Whether sys76 pays much attention to cooling on those is questionable. I got a serval about a yr. & 1/2 ago - it was packed up for return 15 min. after opening the box as there was a ton of heat coming right up thru the keyboard. Sys76 was a bit clueless to simple question of 'did you all bother to test one before deciding to use?' (their laptops are basically re-branded clevos with minor alterations.
    So maybe they've got it figured out now (how to use a desktop cpu in a laptop..), maybe not. It's $75 out of your pocket to 'I don't like' return.
    The other series ( Oryx pro) looks ok though limited options with 17", you'll be @ 2400+ easily.

Dell has alienware & an xps 17", those aren't guaranteed to work OOTB, so i'd check the components & search for info about ubuntu.
    They'll have some higher end precision workstations coming up with ubuntu 16.04 but those will have Quadro cards which may not have great linux support?

If you're going to spend 2500 - 3000+ maybe look at some custom gaming machines, ( like from xoticpc, ect.), just search out the components first for issues
    (- kabylake may not have great support for a little while, skylake is generally ok, wireless & bluetooth are always possible issues as also sound possibly.
    If you opt for a desktop cpu in a laptop you'd want to see mention of the cooling.., I'd likely stay with a laptop cpu & a 1070 or 1080 nvidia card & only ssd drives.

Beans

I mean, theres no easy answer.

System76 definitely makes quality machines that are made for Linux. I would say that it is a very solid choice for a powerful laptop. Dell on the other hand is slightly different. I think that the XPS Developer edition (or whatever it's called) would work great and also is an official Dell product, so presumably if you prefer Dell's support or would rather just own a more mainstream machine for whatever reason I would go with it. An alienware is a little shady for me. I would try and stick with an actual ubuntu laptop that works out of the box. It would suck to have to go through a whole driver/compatibility issue with your expensive new laptop. Overall, it's your choice and I hope whatever you decide works out for you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I usually look at the brand/hardware/driver/compatibility issues with Ubuntu before buying anything.

The rest works out for itself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gupperino View Post
    I think that the XPS Developer edition (or whatever it's called) would work great and also is an official Dell product, so presumably if you prefer Dell's support or would rather just own a more mainstream machine for whatever reason I would go with it.

XPS is not the only developers laptop they have. they have workstations too (ubutnu preloaded):

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/...=us&l=en&s=biz

Dell™ XPS™ 13 laptop, developer edition
    Dell™ Precision 5510, mobile workstation
    Dell™ Precision 3520, mobile workstation
    Dell™ Precision 7510, mobile workstation
    Dell™ Precision 7710, mobile workstation
    Dell™ Precision fixed workstations
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla