Thread: Windows 98 booting issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Windows 98 booting issue

I have an old machine running Win 98.
    It's used for our label making and I don't see why I should update it.
    All of a sudden I'm getting 'No signal' on screen. Not sure what could be going on.
    I unplugged it and plugged back in and it boot up to home screen but the next day
    when I arrived back home it was the 'No signal' on screen again.
    Could the tower be 'shot' or hard drive fail? I have another tower that I thought
    I would put hard drive from bad machine into. Also, is there a way I could somehow
    copy all info from bad machine and put it onto another tower/hard drive? Maybe
    using a live linux cd, not sure what distro as it would have to be a low resource one.
    Would be glad to here any suggestions.
    (Was)Windows Free At Last
    "May You Have A Safe Trip and A Successful Journey"
    Linux user #432153 Ubuntu user #8521

Beans

Re: Windows 98 booting issue

It's used for our label making and I don't see why I should update it.
    Because it doesn't work and because W98 hasn't been supported by microsoft for almost ten years.

You are not getting a steady signal from the computer to the monitor. Check the cable on both ends. Replace the cable. Could be a bad power supply also as well as either the monitor or the motherboard. Start with the simple things first.

Windows operating systems are installed to specific hardware so putting the drive in another machine probably won't work unless it has almost identical hardware. There's only one way to find out.

Copying the OS from one hard drive to another will not likely work as that is different than installing an OS. If you wanted to just copy data, that should be possible.

This forum is for Linux problems, specifically for Ubuntu Linux and it's major derivatives and although there is this sub-section for windows problems, it is not likely you will get much help for such an old windows system. You might try an online search for your problem or see if you can find a windows 98 support site. Good luck with that.

Another possibility would be posting some details on your labelling software with specifics on what you need it to do. Might be a Linux alternative.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A circuit that handles your video signal, either on your video card or motherboard, may be getting ready to die. Connections expand and contract with heat. Eventually cracking and separating after the heat expansion from use. You could try a different video card, many are available for old machines for less than $15 on-line

Beans

Another option if you have a newer computer would be to install virtualbox on it (should work with a windows or Linux OS) and then install your windows 98 in virtualbox. Not a simple process but it is doable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malangaman View Post
    A circuit that handles your video signal, either on your video card or motherboard, may be getting ready to die. Connections expand and contract with heat. Eventually cracking and separating after the heat expansion from use. You could try a different video card, many are available for old machines for less than $15 on-line
    I did think that maybe video card was the issue and will look into that more, thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post

Copying the OS from one hard drive to another will not likely work as that is different than installing an OS. If you wanted to just copy data, that should be possible.
    To be more clear, I was thinking maybe of making a restore disk if possible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DougieFresh4U View Post
    To be more clear, I was thinking maybe of making a restore disk if possible.
    It might be possible, but a bit of research is likely to be needed. When I was running Win98, the machine I used it on came with a MS installation CD, but I don't recall seeing a preinstalled option for creating recovery disks as is sometimes found on newer machines.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So are you running Win 98 side by side to Ubuntu, or Win 98 in a virtual machine?

Beans

The original post dealt with a specific issue involving using Windows 98 for label-making. OP hasn't returned. Thread closed.