Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential Software for the average Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Essential Software for the average Joe

Hey everyone, I'm about to make a military deployment, and I've essentially left the Windows/Mac world (except that my office still uses Microsoft products). Anyway, I've turned my old MacBook Pro into an Ubuntu machine, and I've got the following now:

Opera browser
    Chromium browser
    Firefox browser
    Libre Office 5

I also have a few games, like Steam (so whatever I own that I can port to Linux).

Since I'll be gone for several months, do you recommend any particular software to make my time away more productive/enjoyable? What movie player do you prefer? Music player? Any writing software (screenplays or research papers)? Any very basic and beginning programming software. I use my laptop mostly to research and write, but I'm interested in whatever people are using.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    http://examinescience.wordpress.com

Beans

Re: Essential Software for the average Joe

Basic and beginning programming: Python3, already included with Ubuntu Desktop. Grab the free pdf version of the book to learn how to use it.

Beans

Video player: SMPlayer with the mpv engine. Install both from the repositories, then in SMPlayer navigate to Options > Preferences > General and select "mpv" from the "engine" drop-down list.

I use LibreOffice Writer for word processing. Screenplays have unique formats though. There are a couple of reviews of the alternatives available from a Google search.

I use Kubuntu, so most of my software comes from the KDE side of the world. I use Clementine for an audio player.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Gimp to edit photos and also draw
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Mostly Steam, but I use gimp and inkscape for fun. I usually use the default applications on elementary OS except the browser. I use chrome for that job.

Oh the terminal I like to use as well

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re. screenwriting; how's about this and these? The latter list is a couple of years old so you may have to dig around and see what's still alive and useful.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 22nd, 2017 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added better Trelby link.

Beans

Gimp is like photoshop only free and not so easy-to-use. If you want to edit an existing photo or other image this is the thing.
    Inkscape is a nice vector drawing app I use any time I need to share an idea in drawing form. Not a cad program, more like adobe illustrator if you ever saw that.

Programming is a really big topic.
    Best command-line programming editor: vim or emacs.

Best gui programming editor: sublime text 3. Not free, but demo mode only pops up a dialog every so often. License is one license per human, unlimited computers. Mac, windows, linux. You get a really nice basic editor with no extras and install plugins for extra language support or features. There are tons of plugins.

Best IDE: intellij. Not free, not cheap. Very worth it if you program professionally. Next is some variant of eclipse, get the variant already set up for whatever langages you're interested in.

Beans

Documentation: markdown or some variant of it. This is a wiki-style markup language, not an app. Easy to learn, low-tech and keeps your styles consistent throughout the document. Use sublime-text-3 with markdown features added. Also look at multimarkdown, github-flavored markdown and search for other variants.

I've never done markdown except with sublime and vim. I'm sure other programming editors do nicely too.

That's another thing: find a programming editor that really fits you well and learn every feature. Even if you never get serious about programming they come in really handy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

VLC media player saves a lot of headaches for video playback.
    PhotoFiltre runs well if you get into the Wine stuff.
    Peace and good luck.
    May Peace Prevail for Life in all Realms of Creation --Masahisa Goi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Zim-wiki for note-taking. I'd be lost without it.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast