Thread: What's happening with Ubuntu's phone venture?

Beans

What's happening with Ubuntu's phone venture?

I've wanted a Ubuntu phone for a long time now. I haven't got a device capable of flashing, so I wanted to buy a phone pre-loaded with the OS. Unfortunately, that seems like an impossibility. Every single time I go to the Ubuntu phone page, it says there are no phones available to buy. So what's the deal here? Is the mobile venture dead? Or is it still going?

I'd absolutely love a truly open-source phone but I just can't understand what is going on with the strategy. Is there a strategy? The Meizu handsets have all but disappeared and become a distant memory.

Can anyone let me know the current status on all of this?

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: What's happening with Ubuntu's phone venture?

The current status is that no handset manufacturers currently have Ubuntu phones in production.
    No manufacturers have announced future plans for resume Ubuntu phone production.

Canonical recently announced that further significant development of Ubuntu Phone OS and features is on hold until converted from Click packaging to Snap packaging.
    The announcement was technical, not strategic.

Some have interpreted this as the quiet, unannounced end of the Ubuntu Phone project(s), others as a mere interregnum while Canonical engineers get phones working with snaps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hey,

at the moment there transition to Snap version of ubuntu is going on. Because of this it is pointless to sell new phones until we have a Snap version of Ubuntu (you cannot just upgrade to snap version, but you have to re-flash the device). Once the snap version is on, we could expect new phones. But keep in mind that it will work only with armv8 64 bit and newer processors. No one knows when exactly we'll see snap version of Ubuntu (maybe some Ubuntu emploie), so we'll just have to sit and wait unitl they do it.

I hope this help in some way. Cheers

Beans

Thanks I appreciate the replies. I'm not familiar with snap so I'll have to go away and read up on it. Hope to see Ubuntu mobile make a comeback.