Thread: Ubuntu components does not load completely

Beans

Ubuntu components does not load completely

my OS(Ubuntu 16.04) is unstable and also unusable,login screen changed as below picture.
    https://s29.postimg.org/ahif6z8av/20170112_070635.jpg
    But I can login using username and password.after logging in ,what I get is
    https://s30.postimg.org/699thoz01/20170112_070713.jpg
    No launcher,no GUI,no account options totally unstable.
    I do have access to terminal.
    How do I restore it back to normal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu components does not load completely

Welcome. You have just installed? You say that the login has changed, so I suspect not. In that case, a full explanation of exactly what you did prior to this would help. An update/upgrade perhaps? Attempted to install a different desktop environment? Changed graphics drivers?

It would be highly unusual to switch your computer on one day and the login screen has changed to what looks like GDM rather than LightDM or whatever you were using with no manual help whatsoever. What were you using? Please give full details of what occurred prior to this for best support.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Welcome. You have just installed? You say that the login has changed, so I suspect not. In that case, a full explanation of exactly what you did prior to this would help. An update/upgrade perhaps? Attempted to install a different desktop environment? Changed graphics drivers?

It would be highly unusual to switch your computer on one day and the login screen has changed to what looks like GDM rather than LightDM or whatever you were using with no manual help whatsoever. What were you using? Please give full details of what occurred prior to this for best support.
    this problem occured before,but i made a fresh installation.installed chromium,xdm,aptik and thats it. i have used this system normally for 3 days and then this happened again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, that explains it then. Do a reinstall. Don't install xdm. Use the default Unity DE and LightDM . . . and you will be happy again.
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    Well, that explains it then. Do a reinstall. Don't install xdm. Use the default Unity DE and LightDM . . . and you will be happy again.
    +1. If you want to install xdm, uninstall lightdm.

That is the xdm login you are looking at. Nothing unusual there. What happens after that I have no idea about, but that's the first problem solved and its probably at the root of what comes next: a conflict caused by the fact you are trying to use two dms at the same time, or at least have two installed.

If you don't want Unity and Lightdm then you could try a minimal install which just installs the kernel. Then you can install whatever dm you want from scratch, along with everything else.

Just one question: what were you trying to achieve by installing xdm?

Good luck.

PS: If you installed xdm and were happily using lightdm, only thinking there was a problem when the xdm login screen appeared, which it should have done to start with, think you should perhaps do a bit more research on dms and what they do. Simply, you shouldn't have two installed at the same time, lightdm and xdm for instance. Unpredictable things, crashes and bangs can occur ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 12th, 2017 at 06:13 AM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu components does not load completely

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    Thank you very much.it really worked,i used XDM as a download manager.
    but i have removed it now and everything was fine.
    however my login screen changed to another form something like this (related images from internet,slightly different)
    http://www.techotopia.com/images/9/9...gin_screen.jpg
    but i created a file in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf using terminal and root privilege and added
    Code:
    [SeatDefaults]greeter-session=unity-greeter
    line in it and switched to TTY using ctrl+alt+f1 and then
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart
    .,,,,thats it ....everything is ok now
    i'm using Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial
    really,thank you very much.
    Last edited by uday4all; January 14th, 2017 at 03:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Easy fix
    Create a file called /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/10-mygreeter.conf
    add this
    Code:
    [SeatDefaults]
    greeter-session=unity-greeter
    save as on restart you should see the login screen for the second image post.

the file needs to be written as root so you'll need to create it, or edit it as root.
    easy way is with nano (or vi if that's your thing)
    but nano is simple enough, just run
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/10-mygreeter.conf
    enter your password
    enter the above text.
    press ctrl + X <<this will begin the save and exit
    then press Y
    and then hit enter

to see if the new login screen is working a reboot works best.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good news. You might like to mark this thread as solved to help others. It won't close the thread. See the last, blue link in my signature, bottom of this post.