Thread: setting up unity

Beans

setting up unity

Okay, so here's the problem. I installed Ubuntu 16.04 using Linux deploy on my android phone. In setup, I set the vnc server up and set the GUI to "other", as I wanted to setup unity and there was no option for unity. So my install went fine, I can log in with SSH no problem. However, I installed unity 8 as per instructions I found online, but I cannot figure out how to start unity. Is my vnc server not working? In another distro install I had tried with lxde, it started up with no probs. Thanks! Zach

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: setting up unity

Thread moved to Mobile Technology Discussions. which is more appropriate and a better fit.

Beans

Nevermind. I'm installing xfce instead. Zach

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by zachlinux28 View Post
    Okay, so here's the problem. I installed Ubuntu 16.04 using Linux deploy on my android phone. In setup, I set the vnc server up and set the GUI to "other", as I wanted to setup unity and there was no option for unity. So my install went fine, I can log in with SSH no problem. However, I installed unity 8 as per instructions I found online, but I cannot figure out how to start unity. Is my vnc server not working? In another distro install I had tried with lxde, it started up with no probs. Thanks! Zach
    May I ask, how you were even able to install a linux based OS onto your phone, and if you managed to get it working without crashing or whatnot? I stumbled across this, and WOW, this caught my eye. Completely different ideas and projects I can do! Please teach me! You could always perhaps even make a thread of a tutorial on how you did it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1jarwolf View Post
    May I ask, how you were even able to install a linux based OS onto your phone, and if you managed to get it working without crashing or whatnot? I stumbled across this, and WOW, this caught my eye. Completely different ideas and projects I can do! Please teach me! You could always perhaps even make a thread of a tutorial on how you did it.
    Lol sorry I didn't see this reply sooner, jarwolf. It looks like you sent it only 2 days ago, so I guess it wasn't that long. I barely ever check email updates and whatnot ... I actually don't have it installed anymore, because it wasn't that useful to me, but it may be of use to you, so here goes.
    First off, it isn't very hard at all! Basically you are running gnu/linux in a chroot environment inside of android. The phone has to be rooted, and you need to install the linux deploy app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.meefik.linuxdeploy&hl=en
    You will also need a vnc client app for android, and most likely an app for ssh. I honestly don't remember what all I did within the Linux Deploy app, but if you are absolutely lost while trying to find your way around the app, just give a holler and ill try to get back to you. Best bet is to look at the Linux Deploy wiki here: https://github.com/meefik/linuxdeploy/wiki/_pages
    Zach