Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xfinity and Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xfinity and Linux?

Trying to get my Xfinity to play TV on my Linux machine. Does anyone have any way of getting this to work? I saw someone that posted about using WINE, but exactly how do you do it that way. I tried WINE and installing IE8, but had all kinds of errors and couldn't get it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Xfinity and Linux?

Do you know what they use to play the video? For example Netflix used to require antiquated Microsoft Silverlight and the only thing that worked for that was a Netflix app someone put together using wine and gecko (mozilla) browser as an Internet Explorer substitute. Fortunately Neflix does HTML5 now with works using Google Chrome without doing anything special. Hulu just used flash, but then implemented a DRM which Linux Chrome could not do, and Firefox would if an obsolete program called hal was installed (not sure if hal is still required or if Firefox or flash now handle the DRM).

But I have never gotten pipelight (which uses wine) to work in Firefox for anything that required MS Silverlight.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When I try to use either Firefox or Chrome, it tells me that I have an outdated Flash version. However, when I go to Adobe's sight and check, I have the most current flash installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have never gotten it to work with Firefox or Chromium.
    The Linux flash version is current but too old. And new one just updated for Linux mentions it will not support the DRM or restrictions vendors want to prevent copying of downloaded videos.

I gave up and installed a small Windows 8 now 10 system. But sometimes it works and others it seems Windows 10 goes off to run some task and system hangs for 20 or 30 sec.
    My early model Amazon fire stick with not much real hardware as it all is in a tiny stick works without issue on Amazon videos in HD, so not my Wi-Fi.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I wonder if anyone has been able to get it to work through WINE? I tried the other day, but couldn't even get IE8 to work in WINE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I see people who claim to have gotten it to work. I never have and somewhat doubt the veracity of those claims.

Like oldfred, I just set up a Windows machine.
    Last edited by QIII; January 10th, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

OK: good news!!! Gonna answer my own question here so that others can get Xfinity TV and Linux to play nice together. After much Googling and putting different things together, I got it to work on 2 different machines.

Install WINE and then install Play On Linux. Open Play On Linux and click on INTERNET programs. Choose Firefox and let Play On Linux find and install it. When you are either doing this or going into Firefox, you will be asked whether you want to install Flash and Shockwave. Do NOT install Shockwave: just install Flash! When that is complete, exit Play On Linux. You should now have a Firefox icon on your screen that wasn't there before. Just click on the icon, Play On Linux will open Firefox for you. Go the the Xfinity website and log in.

Sometimes, on one machine, I still will get that message about newer version of Flash is needed, but that message disappears in a few seconds and all is well.

Enjoy!

Beans

Yes, this worked for me too. Thanks for the tip. Several tries in the past had failed - I could install Firefox for Windows, but the flash player install always failed with an unspecified error.

Comment:
    I don't think one needs to install Wine first, since this installation of Firefox through Play on Linux installed a newer version of Wine in another folder. I had version 1.6.2 installed already from the Ubuntu repository, and the P.O.L. installation added version 1.7.22.

We'll see how this goes in the long term - through updates and such. Right now, it is the current version of Firefox and Flash Player.

Beans

I've had issues when xfinity updated to the latest flash but now xfinity adverts is does not support linux os or any flavor there of. so no tv or movies but everything else works.

Beans

Hi, is anyone out there able to get xfinity working on linux? I tried play on linux, but for some reason firefox crashes and it gives an error. I've tried a number of other things, but it seems that the biggest issue is that they still use flash player to actually stream the videos. They can obviously stream them without flash player bc I can stream them from the xfinity app on my phone. Is anyone using xfinity and kodi? I really don't want to have to run windows, but that is looking like the easiest solution for this. Then again, I watch very little on xfinity to begin with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast