Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub / Bootloader issues with Lubuntu 16.10

Beans

Grub / Bootloader issues with Lubuntu 16.10

Hi all,
    I am wtrying to update a laptop that has successfully run Lucid 10.04 (sda5) and WIndows for many years. I am installing Lubuntu 16.10 to sda 7, sda 8 or sda9 on a 250GB internal Harddisk.
    Installing from verified DVD. I am selecting Sda as the location for bootloader but on reboot I am faced with grub error. Sorry but I didn't record the last one but I have restored grub operation with boot-repair CD.
    The partitions are not in layout order as partitions have been deleted over time.
    After many attempts I copies sda5 contents to Sda8 and now grub allows me top boot to a copy of 10.10.
    The latest install of 16.10 was to sda9 but Sda 7 should also be a valid Lubuntu partition.

I note that Grub 1.97 is on the Sda MBR and grub2 is on sda5 and sda8.
    My latest Boot info report is here http://paste.ubuntu.com/23736522/

Would be very grateful for any advice as to whether I need Grub or Grub 2 to be installed and whether this should be on Sda or on a partition and how can I resolve this?

Thanks,

James

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Grub / Bootloader issues with Lubuntu 16.10

You must not have selected sda as location for boot loader.
    The MBR of sda has old boot loader and you have newer grub in PBR - partition boot sector of sda5 & sda8.
    You should be able to use boot repair & advanced mode to choose your 16.10 install in sda7 and sda as location of boot loader.
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    But you have a mount of /home originally sda8, but sda8 has been reformatted and now has a different UUID. The /home mount will cause issues as that UUID does not exist. Did you overwrite /home with the copy of 10.10?
    You also seem to have some corruption on sda9 as Boot-Repair is trying to run fsck.

You should plan to give up on 10.10 and XP, neither is supported anymore.
    And since not updating often, you may want to use 16.04 LTS as it has longer support.

You have so many kernels, that grub menu gets clogged up.

I would also comment out the mount of /home in 16.10's fstab and run fsck on sda9.

#From liveDVD/Flash so everything is unmounted,swap off if necessary, change example shown with partition sda9 to your partition(s)
    #e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems. -p trys fixes where response not required
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sda9
    #if errors: -y auto answers yes for fixes needing response, also see man e2fsck
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda9
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Oldfred, thanks for those comments.Yes I did overwrite Sda8 with a copy of 10.10. This was to prove to myself that there was not a bios limitation and that lat least 10.04 would boot that far into the disk - which.It did Will progress this tonight and report back.
    Incidentally, thanks for comment about 16.04 v 16.10. This was my instinct too but when I was looking for the install 16.04 was much harder to find than 16.10 for some reason.
    James

Beans

OK.
    10.04 and windows will go just as soon as I get this working.
    I have now created and booted a 16.04 live DVD and was planning to fix partitions and then re-install 16.04. To keep things simple I was planning to install everything in a fsck'd sda9. However, I quickly encountered the following:

sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sda9
    /dev/sda9 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
    e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
    lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda9
    e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
    /dev/sda9 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
    e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!

So, rather than go too far off piste, I now plan to reformat sda9 and then install 16.04 lubuntu into that with sda as the location for bootloader.

Beans

OK - so installed 16.04 to a clean sda9. This went OK with no errors reported. Reboot resulted in error and grub prompt as before. I then ran boot-repair advanced with bootloader to sda and sda9 as default but this did not resolve the grub issue. Also selected option to fix flexnet. I still get grub error and grub prompt so have not yet got to the point where I feel I can comment out all those unwanted kernels.

The boot info report is here http://paste.ubuntu.com/23742303/

I am wondering if I need to repair the MBR?. Grateful if someone could advise once again.

Many thanks.
    James

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Is drive set to AHCI?
    My old XP would not work with AHCI, as XP used IDE setting. But when I added SSD, I had to change to AHCI to support trim.
    Some old BIOS could only boot with IDE when all boot files/grub were in first 137GB of drive.
    Did sda9 go beyond 137GB? And other installs are inside it?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

No explicit reference to ACHI in the BIOS Boot or device options.
    I had wondered about this 137GB limit. Does this only apply to linux partitions? because one of the XP partitions has been outside of 137GB for years but I suspect it was being booted from the MBR.

Anyway, as of now the first partition is 50GB with XP, the second is 25 GB with 10.04 this does boot and then there is a large extended partition for much of the rest of the disk which contains SDA 9 which is less than 30GB - that said the overarching extended partition does extend beyond the 137GB mark.

For reference the latest boot info report is here http://paste.ubuntu.com/23742303/

Many thanks.
    James

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Windows boots from partition with boot flag. So if more than one Windows its boot files are really in partition with boot flag, unless you manually configure otherwise.

But sda9 look like it is inside 137GB, so probably not the issue.
    At line 2622
    9 74.8GB 103GB 28.1GB logical ext4

Flexnet issues were fixed years ago. It used to be that both grub & flexnet would write into the same sectors after the MBR and before the first partition. Grub has core.img which is a lot more boot code that does not fit into MBR.
    Flexnet is from some proprietary software you are running in Windows and it hides it security in similar sectors. But now grub check for flexnet and does not use those sectors.

Beans

Thanks for that Old Fred - I have now made progress
    I got it booting both 10.04 partitions and windows again - recovered with Boot-repair default option.
    Grub 1.98 was now back in the frame and listing the 16.04 and 16.10 partitions. However grub reported no such partition when either of those menu options are selected.

I decided to try using the original sda5 partition as my partition for 16.04 given that I had a backup in sda8 and given that it had previously always worked and booted reliably.
    I reinstalled 16.04 / to sda5 and bootloader to sda but this time I did not format the partition. (my thinking was that I didn't want to disturb the grub files that seemed to be working

After 16.04 had finished installing I saw some message about some applications that could not be restored and rebooted. Bingo ! Grub 2 with all partitions listed correctly. Interestingly, as a bonus all my data folders were retained too.
    It will take me a while to check this out properly but apart from the fact that the mouse is not working it looks like I may have cracked it.
    Its been a bit of a struggle but it looks like we have go there.

Thanks for moral and practical support. Does the above provide any clues as to what the problem may have been all along?

--- Edited later to say that after 16.04 had updated itself I rebooted the laptop only to find that the default grub option had reverted back to the copy of the original 10.04 on sda8 and sda5 was not listed.

Will do some more investigating tomorrow....

James
    Last edited by awildebeast; January 6th, 2017 at 01:59 AM.

Beans

mmm ... After a large software update prompted by and on the first boot of 16.04 I had to reboot at the end. Since then the default entry (top of the list) seems to be for hd0,msdos5 sda5? and the partition seems to be the one previously used for 10.04 but instead of booting 16.04 it is booting 10.04

Its almost as if that update was a downgrade to 10.04 - is that possible?

I have just done a default repair again. http://paste.ubuntu.com/23751236

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast