Thread: Cheap Laptop?

Beans

Cheap Laptop?

Can anyone recommend a cheap laptop that I can purchase and install Ubuntu on it? I need one for production and not gaming. I have tablets and such, but I just can't get any work done on them in a reasonable amount of time because everything is either too slow, buggy, or freezes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Cheap Laptop?

Here is a list of hardware that is known to work with Buntu.

Generally I recommend used gear some years old. This has given the developers more time to work with drivers and other essential software.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Here is a list of hardware that is known to work with Buntu.

Generally I recommend used gear some years old. This has given the developers more time to work with drivers and other essential software.
    Agreed. I've had good luck with off-lease machines on Ebay. You can find business-class laptops 3-4 years old for <$150. Business class machines tend to use better quality components so may live several more years. This is being composed on a T410 Thinkpad that cost <$100 - until I put a 240 GB SSD in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

A Packard Bell Easenote is cheap and well quality. I bought one last year (an EasyNote ENTG71BM) and everything works with it after disable UEFI firmware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; December 28th, 2016 at 04:31 PM.

Beans

I had an hp dv7 where Ubuntu and a few other Linux os worked good on. The only thing I couldn't fix was to get the subwoofer working since there was no Ubuntu drivers for that which was a shame because laptop actually had ok sounding speakers at least compared to most laptops.

I suggest you to look at whatever model you want to buy online support page and see if they have any drivers for Linux.

I know that a few of the cheap hp probook laptops even shipped with redhat out of the box. And lenovo has very good driver support as well, a lot of models even for Linux.
    That's the only two brands of laptops i know of that have some Linux support for some of their laptops.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 for a refurbished (second-hand) business class computer (Dell Latitude, Lenovo, HP Elitebook, HP Probook ...) with at least 3 months guarantee (better with 6 months or one year, but 3 months should be enough to take care of problems because of a bumpy transport and give you time to test 'every function that you need'.)

Beans

An expensive one is the Dell XPS 13 that runs ubuntu but a cheap one can mostly be the HP Elitebook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would probably buy an old IBM Thinkpad as they are usually easy to find on eBay (around $150 AUD) and their specifications are usually fine for Ubuntu.

Beans

If I were buying a cheap, used laptop, I'd also go with a Thinkpad.
    Desktop PC: System76 Sable/ Linux Mint Cinnamon
    Laptop: System76 Pangolin/Linux Mint Cinnamon

What? Me Worry?