Thread: Music in MP3 format has negative effects on our emotions dixit research ...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Music in MP3 format has negative effects on our emotions dixit research ...

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...haracteristics

first seen here

google translate >>>

Music in MP3 format has negative effects on our emotions

Published on Monday 12 December 2016 at 16h07

According to a recent study, sound compression has a negative effect on the sensations we get from music.

Music in MP3 format has negative effects on our emotions

According to one study, it is more difficult to feel joy by listening to an MP3 sound, © Maxppp / Anthony Picore

You never got a smile listening to Offenbach's Infernal Gallop in the subway? According to a recent study by the Audio Engineering Library, this is quite normal. Entitled "The Effects of Compression in MP3 on the emotional perceptions of music", it shows that the compression of the sound has negative effects on the emotions that the music gives us.

To arrive at this result, the scientists started from the following observation: each sound emitted by a musical instrument has its own aesthetic and emotional characteristics. Thus, analyzing the emotions diffused by the same sound in different formats, the researchers found that when the latter was compressed, neutral or negative feelings, such as fear or sadness, were reinforced. Conversely, positive sensations such as joy, amusement or appeasement are diminished. Anger is the only feeling that is not affected by these changes.

The researchers explain that it is the rumbling sound, added artificially to the MP3 sound, which would be the origin of these effects. And some instruments are more sensitive than others, the trumpet is the instrument most affected, unlike the horn that is almost not sensitive to it.
    Last edited by shantiq; December 14th, 2016 at 06:53 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

Re: Music in MP3 format has negative effects on our emotions dixit research ...

what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!

It was on the internet, so it must be true, right? I quite enjoy listening to music in MP3 format while having a rest, and have found that my choice of what to listen to is an important contributing factor to my enjoyment.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

yes Lisati less than convincing it all is :]
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's a good thing that emotion analyzers are now 100% accurate otherwise studies like this would be completely subjective.

Beans
    Distro

yes that is a saving grace
    ShanArt

Beans

Listening to downloaded MP3 music on your phone doesn’t offer the same emotional benefits as streaming or listening to hi-res audio on your computer with a fat set of headphones or good monitors.
    There is now some scientific proof giving credence to the fact that you experience a lesser quality of listening, when playing MP3 music. They may take up more space, but WAV files will offer you a greater listening experience and of course work better in your DJ sets.
    Last edited by lisati; December 21st, 2016 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Reset to default font

Beans

Well, what were they playing - Country and Western?

Beans
    Distro

hmmm been thinking about this

what it is saying in effect if that low bitrates in mp3 and i suppose all lossy formats by extension UNDER 110kbps enhance negative emotions; but then it says nowt about higher bitrates up to 320k so they should really run THAT test because even radios these days tend to be 128k or higher

Instinctively I always make a beeline for lossless anyway but i thought it was worth posting anyhow as there might be something in it; a bit like fat-free or fat-reduced food when you trim what is there what is actually left and how does it affect you .... anyway
    Last edited by shantiq; December 22nd, 2016 at 10:19 AM.
    ShanArt