Thread: Accidentally formatted C:/ drive with Windows partition.

Beans

Accidentally formatted C:/ drive with Windows partition.

Exactly what the title says. Am I able to dualboot back to Windows and if so how?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Accidentally formatted C:/ drive with Windows partition.

Hello!

If you are using that machine right now, stop. Turn it off and get to another machine. The more it is used, the more loss you risk.

Then, would you please describe your setup prior to formatting the partition?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Everything is normally functioning. I just cant pick Windows 7 as a startup OS anymore, just Ubuntu. My C:/ drive was formatted linux compatible, so nothing out of linux was formatted

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I am sorry. I do not have a crystal ball.

Without information, we can't help.

Would you please describe how your system was set up? You can give us some very useful detail if you will follow the instructions here.

Use you machine only long enough to gather that data.
    Last edited by QIII; December 14th, 2016 at 07:14 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I am sorry. I do not have a crystal ball.

Without information, we can't help.

Would you please describe how your system was set up? You can give us some very useful detail if you will follow the instructions here.

Use you machine only long enough to gather that data.
    I am a little lost on using this machine for just a little. I use this actively almost 5-6 hours a day without any major issues.
    EDIT: Should add that this was an issue at least a month ago or more.

Also, heres what you've asked.
    http://paste2.org/8ymExjMV

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What is sda1, now ext4 formatted?
    I assume that was your Windows partition.
    It also looks like it is not default mounted or your install.

If you had just reformatted it and not used it, you might be able to convert back to NTFS type 07 (not reformat). But if you have used it at all to write data, then you may be able to recover some data, not not a bootable system. Any one Windows file overwritten would prevent you from having a working system.

If you have no data in sda1, best then just to restore your last Windows backup. If you did not make a backup then you need to use your Windows repair/recovery tools or install disk to reinstall Windows to sda1. You will have to make sure it is NTFS formatted and has boot flag or Windows will not install into it.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If your ntfs partition is just a data partition, as it looks like, and you have been using your ubuntu install for 5-6 hours a day for over a month, then in all likelyhood any data you stored on your windows install partition is gone. You will need to reinstall windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    If your ntfs partition is just a data partition, as it looks like, and you have been using your ubuntu install for 5-6 hours a day for over a month, then in all likelyhood any data you stored on your windows install partition is gone. You will need to reinstall windows.
    So how can I do that via Ubuntu, what softwares and hardwares do I need? Will I have to purchase a cd?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you do not install Windows form Ubuntu. you use a Windows CD/DVD, boot form it and install windows.

if your PC has recovery partition i think you can download a recovery CD and use that partition to recover (reinstall) Windows.

one of the reasons we advise new users to backup before messing with partitions is because things can easilly go wrong (accidentally deleting Windows partition, partition errors, disk errors...) this goes for any disk changes (even if you create new partitions in Windows etc.)

good free backup tools for imaging partitions are redo backup (with GUI) and clonezilla (text based GUI).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla