Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install and conficure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile HOW TO: Install and configure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit, and later...)

Hello everyone!

Thought I'd share my success in installing and configuring my new MX340 printer on Lucid 64 bit.

As we all know or heard of, Canon does support linux .deb and .rpm driver packages but only for the 32 bit platforms.

I hearby declare that any thread claiming that the 32 bit modules installed on a 64 bit machine do not work is most probably a mishap on behalf of the user who tried installing without any clue of what he/she was doing.

After this, you will have full wireless functionnality and scanning capabilities

So here we go:

1 - Open you printer box, unwrap and set it up wherever you desire as long as it's in range of your network router/hub or wireless router/modem. Plug the power cord in and light it up.

2 - Go to this link

http://support-my.canon-asia.com/P/s..._os&g_os=Linux

and download the MX340 Series Printer drivers and ScanGear MP debian packages. You will notice that they are provided as tar.gz archives - once loaded, extract them to a working directory of your choice.

You will notice that upon extraction, the folder hierarchy is as follows for both archives:

'FOLDER NAME' > packages|resources|install.sh

We will be working within the "packages" folder as it is the one containing the deb archives.

3 - Back to the printer: it should now be ON, and ready to be configured.

On the printer's button and configuration panel, press the MENU key 3 times until it displays the DEVICE SETTINGS menu. From now on, use the left and right arrows under the LCD display to navigate through all sub-menus that will follow.

3A - Press the right arrow once to select sub-menu LAN SETTINGS, press OK.

WLAN active/inactive - Press OK, switch status to active with arrow keys, Press OK.

You will now automatically exit back to the following sub-menu: WIRELESS LAN SETUP, press OK.

You are now on EASY SETUP option, press OK.

Your MX340 will now begin scanning for WLAN access points. It should show the strongest signal first, which would normally correspond to you modem/router. If not, use the arrows to cycle through the access point name entries until you find the desired name, press OK, confirm selection by pressing OK again.

If your router/modem is encrypted with a password (which it normally should), the printer will ask for it - enter it via the number input panel on the right, press OK. The LCD should Display "CONNECTING..." as a status message and it should not take more than 5 seconds to do so. Press OK to confirm status "CONNECTED".

3B - You now exit to sub-menu PRINT LAN DETAILS, skip it with right arrow to sub-menu OTHER SETTINGS, press OK.

You will now be on sub-sub-menu entry SET PRINTER NAME, Press OK.
    I have set mine to simply show MX340, you can do so with the number entry pad as described earlier for the password entry, Press OK.

You are now on IPv4/V6 sub-sub-menu, Press OK. Select IPv4 with arrow buttons, press OK and confirm the AUTO SETUP option and interruption message by pressing OK again. Keep IPsec setting inactive by pressing OK. The status message should show "SETTING..."

You are now on WSD SETTING sub-sub-menu, press right arrow button to skip to ENTER SERVICE NAME, press OK. You can modify the service name to be shorter by erasing the hardware adress that follows the whole string for the service name to simply become Canon MX340 (the hardware address and hexadecimal tag will still be visible under the printer settings option upon setup in Ubuntu. Press OK to confirm entry.

You are now on LPR SERV. Advertising sub-sub-menu, press OK to enter and switch to ON, press OK to confirm.

You can now go back to the main LCD status menu by pressing the BACK button until reaching it.

YOUR PRINTER IS NOW FULLY CONFIGURED TO BE DETECTED BY UBUNTU VIA THE PRINTER SETTINGS MANAGER.

4 - Now, go back to your machine and enter the "packages" folder for the CNIJFILTER archive you've extracted earlier. Open a terminal window in that folder via right click menu (if you have the scripts already downloaded and set up in Nautilus, or you can simply use the good old "cd" command as follows:

"cd 'FOLDER NAME'/packages"

You can verify that you are indeed in the desired folder by the pressing "ls" and reading out the contents of the folder via the terminal.

4A - Now that we are in the desired folder, you will enter this command as follows and provide your superuser password when prompted by the terminal:

"sudo dpkg -i --force-all *.deb"

Do not worry about any error message that the terminal would display as it mostly refers to the architecture of the package being i386 and not amd64 - the packages will still extract and install perfectly fine.

THE FILTER AND DRIVER MODULES FOR THE MX 340 ARE NOW INSTALLED.

4B - Repeat step 4A, but this time you will use the "packages folder contained with the SCANGEARMP folder you've previously extracted.

THE SCANGEARMP SCANNING MODULE/APPLICATION IS NOW INSTALLED. (You can find it within /usr/bin/ as scangearmp).

5 - Close all your open windows and head to the "Printing" menu from System > Administration.

Press the ADD button (marked with a green cross icon), the "New Printer" window should now appear.

Press on the "[+] Network Printer" sub-menu, then press "Find Nework Printer", press the "Find and wait for the manager to finish scanning.

You should now see two entries for the MX340, the first one being the default printer module hardware address with the hexadecimal hardware ID, and the second the LPD entry with the printer's IP adress using DNS as backend to access the printer.

Click on the second entry (DNS with IP adress version) and press the forward button. The "Searching for drivers" window should appear and then pass directly to the "Describe Printer" dialog.

If it did go as described, it means that the drivers were indeed successfully integrated to Ubuntu and that the system picked them up and configured the printer to use them.

Name you printer as you wish for it to appear within your system's dialogs. Press the "Apply" button to finalize.

If you wish, you can print the Ubuntu test page to make sure it does receive jobs.

The icon for the printer must not show any error status exclamation emblem ( /!\ ).

To access your printer via other remote systems and be able to print, press "Server" in the main window menu bar and go to "Settings". Check all first three options and apply, The printer should show up on the network browser of other machines and their respective printing dialogs within 30 seconds to a minute delay.

YOUR MX340 IS NOW READY TO PRINT ANY DOCUMENT FROM ANY LOCATION WITHIN YOUR NETWORK.

6 - We will now add a launcher/menu entry to be able to scan with the MX340 as the SANE library does not seem to recognize the scanner hardware for this model as of yet.

On your desktop, right-click and select "Create Launcher..."

Fill labels as follows:
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    Name: ScanGear MP
    Command: scangearmp
    Comment: Canon MP/MX Series scanning utility
    __________________________________________________ ___________

You can set the scanner.svg icon to be used by simply clicking on the springy launcher icon and browsing to /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/devices and selecting scanner.svg Press OK when done, a launcher should now appear on your desktop.

If you prefer having a normal menu entry for it, you can set it up by right-clicking on the Ubuntu Applications panel icon and selecting "Edit Menus", navigate to "Graphics". Press the "New Item" button and follow the steps previously described to create a custom launcher.

ENJOY!
    Last edited by Cypher2; February 26th, 2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typography errors

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install and conficure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit)

Thanks for posting this and pointing out those drivers. Not sure why Canon keeps them huddled away on the Asian site only.

Unfortunately it didn't quite work for me. One difference was that I had to enter the printer IP manually (no big deal, just not sure why it didn't find it from scanning the subnet). Then, things went smooth up until I tried printing the test page, last line in the error log is:

D [06/Jul/2010:20:40:13 -0400] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My pleasure , I love the Ubuntu community too much to hide this sort of happening from all of you!

Hmmm.. weird,

CUPS doesn't have much to do in the configuration other than hosting the printer on linux and via samba subnet to share with other computers...

The biggest load of the config is done through the printer itself...

did you reverify the IP version on the printer... it has to stay on IPv4, I can't really think of anything else at the moment, maybe reloading cups manually after config?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This was extremely helpful to me, thank you

My printer died yesterday so I went to Best Buy and got this printer on sale - hey, for $80 I'm not complaining!

I followed your instructions on an older laptop with a 32-bit version of Ubuntu - 9.04 - and just for some feedback and maybe to help anyone else, this is the sequence for installation (on my system) after installing the drivers:

I'll be installing it on my main desktop machine (dualboot XP with Ubuntu 10.04) shortly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great! ^_^

Glad to know it works well on other versions and architectures...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi Cypher2, great "How To" it worked for me, Thanks,

p.s. Drivers now available on the European Site.

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010835.asp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thank you very much, that worked wonderfully for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: HOW TO: Install and conficure Canon MX340 (Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit)

cecilia@cecilia-desktop:~$ cd ./Desktop/downloads/
    cecilia@cecilia-desktop:~/Desktop/downloads$ tar -xvf ./cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/packages/
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-mx340series_3.30-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/packages/cnijfilter-common_3.30-1_i386.deb
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/resources/
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/resources/printer_zh_utf8.lc
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/resources/printer_ja_utf8.lc
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/resources/printer_fr_utf8.lc
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/install.sh
    cecilia@cecilia-desktop:~/Desktop/downloads$ ls
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb
    cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    scangearmp-mx340series-1.50-1-i386-deb
    scangearmp-mx340series-1.50-1-i386-deb.tar.gz
    cecilia@cecilia-desktop:~/Desktop/downloads$ cd ./cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/
    cecilia@cecilia-desktop:~/Desktop/downloads/cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb$ ls
    install.sh packages resources
    cecilia@cecilia-desktop:~/Desktop/downloads/cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb$ install.sh* packages/ resources/
    install.sh: command not found
    cecilia@cecilia-desktop:~/Desktop/downloads/cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb$

ever thing work but when i get here it come up with command not found help please tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Use the dpkg command instead - here's what I did after unzipping (untarring, I guess) onto my Desktop:

cd Desktop/

cd cnijfilter-mx340series-3.30-1-i386-deb/

cd packages/

sudo dpkg -i --force-all *.deb
    Last edited by AndyCinDallas; November 15th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by josephhitt View Post
    Unfortunately it didn't quite work for me. One difference was that I had to enter the printer IP manually (no big deal, just not sure why it didn't find it from scanning the subnet). Then, things went smooth up until I tried printing the test page, last line in the error log is:

D [06/Jul/2010:20:40:13 -0400] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.
    I also got "Couldn't find any printers" when clicking the Find button. However, while I was entering the IP number in the find box, the two entries mentioned in the post above actually got populated in the list to the left in that dialog.
    So, have some patience in that dialog, and they'll show up, I guess.

Thanks for this How To! Clean, nice and easy!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast