Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set your system up for Wake On LAN (WOL)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: HOWTO: Set your system up for Wake On LAN (WOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Waste View Post
    Just a quick question as I am not familiar with the uses of WoL.
    What it useful for?
    Security?
    Convenience?
    When your server is in a location you can not access easily, this saves a lot of time. Zhen the server is in the attic for example, you don't need to run upstairs to put the server on. Yo uwake on lan, then you ssh for all the rest and shut him down through command line. It's convenient.

br,
    Walter
    "1. Never tell everything at once."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

New to the WOL idea, went through all the setup steps described by OP.
    To turn on/off the server from my Windows box I installed http://magicpacket.free.fr/ so I can send a magic packet. The mac address from my server is xxxxxxx but when I put that into the WOL Magic packet sender it says it must be 12 characters ans shows xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx as an example. Changing to use - rather than : does not show a message but does not turn on my server. Any thoughts?

Beans

Has anyone got WOL working frin the Internet with a BT Home Hub router? I'm having difficulty and the 'Big_Croc' method isnt helping. The BT Home Hub is pretty configurable so I'm hoping someone has worked out how to do it

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Set your system up for Wake On LAN (WOL)

works fine on ecs 741-gxm motherboard with SIS chipset. (Found in fry's $100 pc) and Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10

BTW I am using etherwake gui on ipcop firewall.

Thank you chris AKA Kai

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm trying to set this up on an Intel Mac Mini that's running Gutsy. The script seems to run fine, but when I shut down the Mini it loses link with the router and won't wake up.

Any idea what to do to fix this?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey guys so I also have been fiddling around with wakeonlan and I've got it to work when I do a regular shutdown (command-line or gui). I have also setup my computer to awaken from a hot key on my keyboard ctrl-f1. The problem is when I try to hibernate I can't get wakeonlan to work anymore. I can however get it to awaken from the keyboard hot-key, but this is because my motherboard has jumpers to keep power flowing to my keyboard after shutdown so I can use it to power up. I believe its the operating system somehow that tells my computer to keep supplying power to my nic after my computer is shutdown. As hibernating aka s4 is so similar to a real shutdown (it just saves the state of my machine to hard drive and then really does shutdown) it seems like waking from a hibernating machine shouldn't be any different. In fact I have seen it work once, but I haven't gotten it to work since. Every time I hibernate before it shuts down it outputs the text "failed to activate device 00:a0" or something like that. Has anyone here had any luck getting wakeonlan to work in s4 hibernation? Can anyone help?
    Last edited by alphacrux; April 20th, 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok so I looked around on the forums and found the solution to my problem. Here is the link. Basically you have to configure /etc/default/acpi-support so that linux does not do a hard shutdown on hibernate/suspend and unload your network modules.

Another thing, although this wasn't a problem for me, while looking around I found that the states that can be "woken" from are set in the bios. It just so happened that my bios already had the right settings. This might be something else to look at if yall are having problems with WOL in s4.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

3com drivers

Please forgive me if this has already been tried, but I can't find where it has...

I have a 3com 3c905c ... card whose wol configuration is not reported by ethtool, which seems to quite common. 3com has an alternate driver, has anyone tried it?
    http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too...nux/readme.txt
    http://support.3com.com/infodeli/too...90x-102.tar.gz

I'm not comfortable yet building and install drivers, but I'd certainly give it a shot if someone could give me a step by step. The readme lists instructions for rh, but I'm not experienced enough to know whether they would work on ubuntu, or xubuntu gutsy in my case.

By the way, I've so far tried:
    touch /etc/modprobe.d/network
    echo "options 3c59x global_enable_wol=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/network
    bios set for wol
    mobo link installed and detected

Beans

I thought I should also post my WOL results here. WOL works even though I get the following error message.

"ethtool -s eth0 wol g" -> "Cannot get current wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported not setting wol."

"ethtool eth0" -> "No data available"

"ethtool -i eth0" ->
    "driver: tulip
    version: 1.1.15
    firmware-version:
    bus-info: 0000:02:09.0"

NIC: Linksys LNE100TX v4

Even though I said it didnt work, I went ahead and sent a magic packet from another system in my network and my ubuntu server booted right up!!

It only works if I 'halt' or 'shutdown' the system though. Anyone have any ideas how how to make WOL work when I suspend or hibernate the system?

Beans

I'm not sure what happened. But I was playing around w/ settings and now my system does not wake up if it has been powered down for a long time. It will wake up if it was just shut down. But if it was down for a couple of hours then it won't wake up. It used to wake up regardless of how long it was down. Also before I could just wake up my system w/ by just sending the MAC address. Now I also have to send the IP? What happened? I'm not sure if I accidentally changed any settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast