Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set your system up for Wake On LAN (WOL)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set your system up for Wake On LAN (WOL)

This script was not working, and I saw that the LED in my router corresponding to the computer I wanted to wake was going off when I powered off the computer.

So I decided to try to remove -i from halt as suggested, and it worked!!!

This is what I did (I'm running Edgy), I warn you that I am not an expert so I don't know if it's OK to do this:

- Make a backup of the /etc/init.d/halt script
    - edit the /etc/init.d/halt script
    - Locate the line where the halt command is invoked:
    Code:
    halt -d -f -i $poweroff $hddown
    - Remove the -i

That's it. Hope it works for you!!

Beans

Some general remarks on Wake on Lan. First, after some trials on hardware and careful examining all former answers I found the following procedure useful for testing if hardware compoments are ready (compliant) with this technology.

Hardware components:
    1. BIOS / motherboard.
    2. NIC (Network Interface Card) or Netword Adapter.

Procedure:
    1. In BIOS of your motherboard enable WOL functionality (typically in Power Management Setup branch of BIOS options). Is your motherboard compliant to PCI 2.1 standard?
    YES | NO

2. Check if for sure your NIC is WOL compatible. Is your NIC compliant to PCI 2.1 standard?
    YES | NO

3. Check if your power supply is ATX compliant:
    YES | NO

If answer to this question is NO than sorry, you can not use WOL functionality.

3. If answers to questions 1. and 2. are YES than you don't need WOL cable. If any answer to questions 1. and 2. is NO than you need WOL cable. Connect your NIC with motherboard with special WOL cable. See your hardware manuals if any doubts.

4. Experiment. Set your BIOS function WOL enabled and PC in shutdown state. Check if diode on the switch that your NIC is connected to is lit or flashes.
    YES | NO

Remark: If NO than there is a problem. Try to boot up your PC and correctly shut it down. Check again.
    Remark: Sometimes NIC vendors add a diode for constant monitoring of LAN activity. If BIOS function of WOL is enabled than also diode on your NIC flashes together with diode on a switch. Check your NIC manual if any doubts about diodes functionality.

5. Experiment. Set your BIOS function WOL enabled and PC in shutdown state. From the other computer on the same LAN send MP (Magic Packet) to your PC. Does it awake your PC?
    YES | NO

Remark: It should wake it up. Try to boot up your PC and correctly shut it down. Check again.

6. Experiment. Set your BIOS function WOL enabled and PC in shutdown state. Switch off a power supply for at least 10 seconds. Observe if a LED on a switch lights off. Now switch on a power supply. From the other computer on the same LAN send MP (Magic Packet) to your PC. Does it awake your PC?
    YES | NO

Remark: My computer does not. Perhaps some people will find their hardware working on these conditions. Please report on that. In my opinion this is one of the weakest points of the whole WOL idea. If there is power loss in your home than your computer can not be awaken remotely. It should be this way, but it seems that most of the NICs do not fulfil this requirement. This fact is very seldomly reported. All I was able to find was honest report of one vendor here:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=SF06-D0035
    Such a feature as remote wake up after power loss just should work.

7. Experiment. Set your BIOS function WOL enabled and PC in shutdown state. Wake it up with MP (Magic Packet) send from another PC on your LAN. As soon as it starts to boot and beeps single (end of POST procedures) press power button on a chassis and turn it off again. Now send MP again. Does it wake up your PC?
    YES | NO

Remarks. Again, it should wake up your PC. If it doesn't than some problems may occure with your system and "clear shutdown".

Answers to above quiz on my hardware:
    1. YES. Motherboard: Abit SA6R. Tweaked BIOS (self made) basing on 7X version.
    2. YES. Compaq PCI 10/100 WOL, MPX EN 5038 B. Hard to say what piece of hardware it really is. I used to have 3COM 905C TX-M. Unfortunately this one wasn't working with WOL at all on Linux or even Windows. Strange, but true.
    4. YES.
    5. YES.
    6. NO.
    7. YES.

Now, the software part of WOL mechanism:
    1. OS (Operating System), especially so called "halt scripts".
    2. NIC driver.

Remarks: People in this thread reports that special script is required or at least some tweaks with halt script to enable OS clear shutdown with NIC still powered after shutdown. If your hardware passed the above procedure in similar to my than likely you don't need any special script. Nevertheless I've never tried wake on states different from S5 (ACPI). Perhaps such a script is required for S4 (hybernate state).

Remark: I don't feel comfortable with Linux drivers, so please get me right if I'm wrong but driver for NIC is a standard part of a kernel and there is not much to do, at least with standard kernel that comes with distro. Your NIC should work out of a box.

Remark: The rule of a thumb no. 1. If WON works on Windows, it should so on Linux. If your NIC doesn't work on Linux (or you suppose a problem) take it off your PC and put into another one managed by Windows. Check if it works there.

Remark: The rule of a thumb no. 2. NIC 100 Mbit cards are very cheap nowadays. Borrow one that works with WON from your friend. Now check if yours works with your friend's hardware. Try to exchange with your friend on the NICs.

I hope that this short summary will be of any help to somebody. Good luck!

mslonik (Maciej)

Beans

Has anyone had any luck with the broadcom b44 network drivers and wake on lan with Edgy? It doesn't seem b44 supports it as ethtool shows nothing.
    I cannot get the bcm4400 drivers to compile either. Wake on Lan works on my machine both in windows and in slackware. Cannot get it working with edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

mslonik, thanks for your very good reply, but I still need some help

my NIC is a DFE-528TX, wich is said to support WOL and PCI 2.1, see dlink page, my rather old motherboard is QDI KuDoz 7, if I look at the page and manual, I don't see any evidence that the motherboard supports PCI 2.1, moreover it has a WOL connector on it.. wich leads me to think it does only support WOL trough the cable, is that the case in your opinion??? If so, either I change mobo or NIC

Beans

Hm... As far as I investigated issue of WOL cable connector, many motherboards producers add it for the purpose of compatibility with old NICs. So even if you have modern motherboard (PCI 2.1 compliant) still you can find WOL cable connector. Nowadays it should be fairly easy to find such a cable in a second hand shops or on ebay. I'm not sure from when PCI 2.1 is a standard. You can try to check if your motherboard was produced after.

I hope that this explanation is of any help. Merry Christmas!

mslonik (Maciej)

Beans

Does anyone know how I can check to see if a computer doesn't have wake-on-lan functionality?

I have two older Gateway brand computers, one bought in 1999 and one bought in 2001. I'm working with the newer 2001 one and I just updated the BIOS and there is no mention of wake-on-lan in the BIOS menu options at startup. There is mention of reboot after power outtage.

Does this mean that this computer cannot wake on lan?

The reason I'm asking is that the older Gateway computer (1999) does have the wake-on-lan in the BIOS menu options and I'm a bit confused.

Beans

Missed Hviid's post the first time through... basically, due to a driver bug, nForce4 boards need the MAC address reversed to successfully wake. So instead of wakeonlan 00:01:02:03:04:05, use wakeonlan 05:04:03:02:01:00.

Beans
    Hidden!

3com 3c905c users may benefit my solution here:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...97&postcount=5
    There's how I got it to work for my dapper install.

Beans

Now I run Edgy Eft (Kubuntu 6.10) on my machine. I've checked your way for WOL on 3c905x. It does not work for me.

Kind regards,
    Maciej (mslonik)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hviid View Post
    I found the answer for my problem.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70384
    Last reply.

Hviid
    Thanks a lot.
    You saved my life!
    It is working, finaly!
    Thanks again to all that submit these great ideas to forum and share them with the rest of the world.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast