Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Anyone Not Like Unity and After Using It for a While Liked it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Did Anyone Not Like Unity and After Using It for a While Liked it?

I used Mint this past Linux time for about a year. I tried Ubuntu Unity for about a day, but hated it (Using Xubuntu now). I looked it up and found lots of people don't like it. I read somewhere that if you don't like it, give it a month and you might change your mind.

Since I only gave it a day, maybe I didn't give Unity a real chance. Maybe after a month I'd like it. Not sure I'd give up Xfce even if I liked Unity.

I was hoping to hear experiences from someone who hated Unity DE, but after using it, started liking it. What did you not like and how did that change? How long did it take before you liked it? Did it all of a sudden click, or did it transform slowly over time?

Thanks for any experiences,

Chris.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Did Anyone Not Like Unity and After Using It for a While Liked it?

Moved to Recurring Discussions
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I test them all but Xubuntu has my weak spot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been using Unity since it was a netbook DE when the alpha version was released during the 10.04 development cycle. I took to it right away, and am amazed at the improvements made since it's initial release. I'm looking forward to Unity 8.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

As a rule I have avoided it...I did not take to the work flow....at the beginning (over 5 years have passed since then).
    I love being a part of the testing team...so I test Unity with each cycle.
    Long Story Short here...With Ubuntu 16.04.1 I have warmed to it...and have no plans of removing it.
    And like cariboo I am also amazed and pleased with the improvements made... and I also am looking forward to Unity 8
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did Anyone Not Like Unity and After Using It for a While Liked it?
    Speaking as someone who has been on both sides of that coin, I would guess not.

I've always liked the Unity that came with Ubuntu 12.04. And I always disliked the versions of Unity in Ubuntu 14.04 and later.

My own issues with the newer Unity's are largely technical, and due to my own requirements. Using it for a while won't make those issues go away.

Also, remember that there is a lot of choice in desktop environments (DEs) for Ubuntu. Not only are there the various flavors, even switching DE after-the-fact is generally just a few sudo apt-get install commands followed by minor cleanup.

When it's easy for people to switch to something they do like, no one is going to stick with something they don't like, are they now?

If you're happy with the DE you use in Mint, can you just use that in Ubuntu also?
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

I tried Unity in 12.04...my hardware was too limited, my screen was too small. I went with Xubuntu instead.

I tried Unity again with 14.04 and newer, better, bigger hardware. The Unity experience was fantastic, and I have been with it ever since.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; December 9th, 2016 at 02:13 AM.

Beans

I'm quite new to the whole thing and Unity (I think 11.04?) was the first I tried so naturally it was amazing, anything was compared to Vista . If you know keyboard shortcuts it's very, very good, as is Gnome 3. I'm using KDE Plasma atm though

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I tried it. I intensely disliked it.

I currently use it when testing development releases.

I don't dislike it any longer, but it doesn't suit me.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    Speaking as someone who has been on both sides of that coin, I would guess not.

I've always liked the Unity that came with Ubuntu 12.04. And I always disliked the versions of Unity in Ubuntu 14.04 and later.

My own issues with the newer Unity's are largely technical, and due to my own requirements. Using it for a while won't make those issues go away.

Also, remember that there is a lot of choice in desktop environments (DEs) for Ubuntu. Not only are there the various flavors, even switching DE after-the-fact is generally just a few sudo apt-get install commands followed by minor cleanup.

When it's easy for people to switch to something they do like, no one is going to stick with something they don't like, are they now?

If you're happy with the DE you use in Mint, can you just use that in Ubuntu also?
    Adding a DE in Mint is a nightmare. I couldn't even add Cinnamon to Mint-Xfce distro. Frankenmint is what they called it. Screwed everything up every time. I was warned not to on the forums. Clean install for upgrades also.

If Ubuntu Cinnamon was offered (as a download, not just adding Cinnamon after, to Ubuntu) it would be #1 on Distro watch by far. The two best things in Linux are separate. Put them together and you'll knock it out of the park. Even tho Ubuntu flavors are counted separate, unlike other distros, Ubuntu Cinnamon would be way past #1.

So is it a problem to add Cinnamon to Xubuntu? I want to use Cinnamon so bad, but I love Xfce so much it makes it sad to switch to Cinnamon. Having both choices to boot to would help a lot.

Chris.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast