Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows Guest on Kubuntu Host in VirtualBox

Beans

Re: Dual boot or VM ?

Speaking from prior experience (not in the last few years though) most OEM Windows installations won't work in a VM because they're keyed to a serial number on the motherboard. We ordered some OEM CDs awhile back, turned out there was a different Windows installer for every 50 machines. I've heard that some manufacturers have keyed to 20-machine batches.

That said, I have more recent (not Win10) experience using Microsoft-distributed Windows on VMs. Here's my advice:
    1. Don't use any image that doesn't come directly from Microsoft.
    2. Each image has several EULAs (end-user license agreements) which apply to that image. They could be:
      1. education
      2. commercial
      3. developer
      4. testing
      5. enterprise
      6. personal
      7. this list changes constantly, you need to find out which ones exist and which most applies to your scenario.

3. Each EULA is designed for a different scenario. Some are more friendly for VMs than others.
    4. Call the 800 number on Microsoft's website and tell them exactly what your scenario is. They will tell you which of the current licenses makes most sense for you.
    5. The 800 number people can't sell you a license, but they can give you some names/websites where you can get a valid license.

Another thing: Don't be afraid of the guys on the 800 number. If you're calling that number they know you're trying to be legal. Tell them what you have in mind and they'll give advice as to the best fitting license, and answer questions about it. These guys know about KVM, QEMU, and every other virtualization/dual-boot scenario that you can think of. They know about testing scenarios where you may have an image that gets reset to a known starting point every time you use it. They know about scenarios where you need to reinstall over and over. They know about backing up an image. Be straight with them and you'll get good answers.

Finally, read the license agreement. It's not really that hard to understand.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Windows Guest on Kubuntu Host in VirtualBox

Since this thread has morphed into a Virtualisation support issue, I have moved it into that subforum and changed the title to more accurately reflect the new topic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Speaking from prior experience (not in the last few years though) most OEM Windows installations won't work in a VM because they're keyed to a serial number on the motherboard. We ordered some OEM CDs awhile back, turned out there was a different Windows installer for every 50 machines. I've heard that some manufacturers have keyed to 20-machine batches.
    I have seen posts where the key is in the BIOS, and yet have seen posts where it is stated that the key is not in the BIOS ? So, I'm not sure.

That said, I have more recent (not Win10) experience using Microsoft-distributed Windows on VMs. Here's my advice:
    [LIST=1][*]Don't use any image that doesn't come directly from Microsoft.[*]Each image has several EULAs (end-user license agreements) which apply to that image. They could be:
    1. education
    2. commercial
    3. developer
    4. testing
    5. enterprise
    6. personal
    7. this list changes constantly, you need to find out which ones exist and which most applies to your scenario.
    I have purchased the Windows 8.1 media CD. Dell have stated that the product I purchased is retail/full/OEM.

• Call the 800 number on Microsoft's website and tell them exactly what your scenario is. They will tell you which of the current licenses makes most sense for you.
    • The 800 number people can't sell you a license, but they can give you some names/websites where you can get a valid license.
    Thanks, I will consider calling the number. It is overseas call and waiting, waiting in a queue, costs. However, the link shown in a previous posts, from the MS site, in reference to the use of VM's, has settled the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Since this thread has morphed into a Virtualisation support issue, I have moved it into that subforum and changed the title to more accurately reflect the new topic.
    Thanks. I was actually going to start a new thread, and wondered if there was a 'Virtualisation' sub forum. lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have installed the Oracle Virtual Box Version 5.1.10 r112026 (Qt5.5.1)

Followed the guide at http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...UserManual.pdf . Went through the instructions up to page 21. At 1.8.1 the guide mentions a “First Start Wizard”. This didn't appear. When I now 'Start' the VM, a msg "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." (See VM_Page21.png )

I have rechecked that the DVD/CD is specified. The Windows 8.1 CD is in the drive, and I can browse it with Dolphin. The settings are all greyed out, except the main settings display.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrgh, I just saw a post about getting rid of the "saved state", tried that, and now the CD/DVD drive is active.

So, it seems ok now.

Later: The Win 8.1 install wanted 10 Gb, and I only had 8 Gb setup, so it didn't proceed. This is despite the fact that I made the storage dynamic. Can't see how to change the VM storage from 8Gb to 10 Gb. Does this look safe - https://www.linuxbabe.com/virtualbox...llocated-disks
    Last edited by oygle; December 8th, 2016 at 11:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    Can't see how to change the VM storage from 8Gb to 10 Gb. Does this look safe -
    Why bother with all that for a blank virtual disk? Just delete the storage medium and create a new, larger one.
    Xubuntu 20.04/System76 hardware ♦ Pop!_OS/live ♦ Debian 10/Xubuntu 20.04/VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    I have seen posts where the key is in the BIOS, and yet have seen posts where it is stated that the key is not in the BIOS ? So, I'm not sure.
    Me either. I always thought it was burned into some ROM chip on the motherboard.

I have purchased the Windows 8.1 media CD. Dell have stated that the product I purchased is retail/full/OEM.
    Just to clarify, OEM Windows is generally held to be a Windows installation which has been modified by a hardware manufacturer (not Microsoft) and resold. In that case I believe that the licensing is through Dell, not through Microsoft. These OEM versions are not only often keyed to the hardware, but also full of random software that most people either don't use at all or won't use most of. My advice from the above post doesn't apply here.

Thanks, I will consider calling the number. It is overseas call and waiting, waiting in a queue, costs. However, the link shown in a previous posts, from the MS site, in reference to the use of VM's, has settled the matter.
    Microsoft (or Dell in this case) should have a number in your country.

Thanks. I was actually going to start a new thread, and wondered if there was a 'Virtualisation' sub forum. lol
    Yup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    Why bother with all that for a blank virtual disk? Just delete the storage medium and create a new, larger one.
    Yes, good point, thanks.

Just to clarify, OEM Windows is generally held to be a Windows installation which has been modified by a hardware manufacturer (not Microsoft) and resold. In that case I believe that the licensing is through Dell, not through Microsoft. These OEM versions are not only often keyed to the hardware, but also full of random software that most people either don't use at all or won't use most of. My advice from the above post doesn't apply here.
    Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I chatted to Microsoft today. In short, Microsoft have given me permission to install Windows 8.1 in the VM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Have to pinch myself that I actually have Windows 8.1 running as a guest.
    Last edited by oygle; December 10th, 2016 at 02:50 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast