Thread: What are the chances of Microsoft playing fair with Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!

What are the chances of Microsoft playing fair with Linux?

It seems Microsoft has started going after Linux, and now sees it as a legitimate threat instead of just a fringe OS for programmers and nerds. They have a strategy known as "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish". They tried that years ago with IE and failed, but I fear this could actually work with Linux. Basically it would go like this:
    Code:
    1. Embrace Linux, and try to give the FOSS community an olive branch.    <-- We are here
    2. Extend Linux with proprietary Microsoft code.                         ## The GPL protects most of the software that you and I use today, but they could make their own distro.
    3. Extinguish GNU/Linux as we know it.

So what do you think? Is Microsoft actually committed to free software despite calling it a cancer for years, or do they have an ulterior motive?
    Personally I'm already sizing up other *nixes in case I have to jump ship. So far I like OpenIndiana a lot.
    Last edited by vasa1; December 5th, 2016 at 04:14 PM. Reason: edited the title to be family-friendly
    Code:
    ~$ uname -sr
    Linux 4.4.30-ayylmao

Beans

Re: What are the chances of Microsoft playing fair with Linux?

MS uses large numbers of Linux machines. This is nothing new really, since previously they used large numbers of BSD machines. The company is gradually changing into a services company similar to IBM. Their proprietary software offerings are getting stale and losing popularity.
    Last edited by vasa1; December 5th, 2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: made post's title match thread's title

Beans

Hmmm. Seems a lot like what people were saying in 2006...and every year since.

Has something changed?
    Or is this a Recurring Discussion?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What do I think? The recent moves to using tools, of Linux libraries within MS development, is going to benefit MS and Linux. Developers, are going to be using the tools more, (I hope), increasing their familiarity of it. Hopefully, more developers will be inclined to contribute to FOSS.

I don't see MS as a threat to FOSS because of the licensing for Unix-like code.

I don't see the connection of MS developers using Linux tools to > 'Extinguish Gnu/Linux as we know it.

Beans

Here's one association that didn't end up too well for a founder: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ore-his-handle

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

^^ Hmm... maybe I should adopt a more 'wait and see attitude' about MS's involvement with Linux, before making judgments on the pros or cons.

Thanks.