Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do after 16.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cool What to do after 16.04?

I know my question is very wide with many possibilities but I am trying to understand how most users feel about it.

I was just wondering what long term users of Ubuntu do with updating LTS editions. I have just started using 16.04 and would I just keep updating it for 5 years then install the latest version at the time or would you install a new version sooner if it's a must have one?

With the advice from my previous posts I have a lot of reading material to go through, and loving it, with heaps of questions going around in my head.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What to do after 16.04?

You are correct that there are many different ways to deal with this situation.

I can not speak for other users but like many, I only install the LTS versions and I wait for the first point version of those before moving from the previous LTS to the current one, ie, I have only just gone from 14.04.5 to the current LTS 16.04.1.

I have a separate /home partition and two 20GB partitions on my disk for root partitions of OSs on my hard disk, so at present I have both OSs available to me from grub, but no Windows OS except for a VM of XP only ever used to update a TomTom Satnav GPS navigation device.

I have never updated from one OS version to another; I clean install which with the separate /home partition takes only 15 minutes or so, plus the extra time to update and add packages I need that are not installed by default.

Beans

The answer is entirely based upon personal preference.
    Develop a personal preference based on experience: Use Ubuntu for a few years, then decide.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I always use LTS release and always clean install the next one on another partition to play around with. Once I have it as I like, I migrate to that fully.

Depends on your setup. I have all my data on one partition and all my installs share that for data so it is easy for me to do it this way (and all installs use the same /swap partition).

Thing to remember if you are going to net upgrade: you can upgrade from LTS to LTS, say 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS directly, but you can't leap-frog an LTS, 16.04 LTS> 20.04 LTS.

Going LTS to LTS upgrade means you can leap-frog the interim releases in between at least.

Beans
    Distro

Yes thank you all for your advice. I know it is all common sense but being new to Ubuntu I wanted to get a feel on how to use the system. You have all giving me good idea's to follow, but for now I have a lot of reading to do especially on commands.

Does the LTS come out every 2 years? (just an after thought)
    Last edited by notso23; November 16th, 2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: to thank all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does the LTS come out every 2 years? (just an after thought)
    Yes.
    Every April on even number years, so April 2018 will be the next LTS, known by the version number 18.04.
    18 for year and 4 for month.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Thank you all for your help ... wonderful forum.
    Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Cinnamon 3.6.2
    Accidental Linux user and loving it.

Beans

I would stick with 16.04 & then check 18.04 out when it arrives or slightly before in a live session.
    If they manage (longshot) to achieve what they are planning then it's possible you'll love it or hate it. In the later case then one could stick with 16.04
    ( in other words this time, 16.04 to 18.04, will not be an advancement of 16.04, it will be quite different no matter what Canonical is currently preaching.

Beans
    Distro

Oh and they are going to change it just as I am learning how use Ubuntu

Good advice, and thank you.
    Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Cinnamon 3.6.2
    Accidental Linux user and loving it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

18.04 LTS is a year and a half away. The changes won't be so radical you won't know what you're doing when you swap to 18.04 by then.

You only just got here! The learning curve might seem steep at first but it levels out and ain't gonna be sharp later, just different. It ain't going to be like switching from Windows to Arch or anything similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast