Thread: [solved] Problem getting brother MFC printer scanner to work (Yakkety 16.10)

Beans

[solved] Problem getting brother MFC printer scanner to work (Yakkety 16.10)

Hi all,
    I upgraded to 16.10 recently. My brother DCP7055W scanner (its a multifunction printer) does not work anymore.
    The printer works perfectly though.
    This is a wifi printer.
    I used the brother installer as I did for ubuntu 16.04 where it worked like a charm.

The brother scanner config program works and outputs the correct IP for my printer, also their own software works (brscan-skey for the ones who know about these).

So I think that the problem is the sane.d config: /etc/saned.d/dll.conf contains brother4 which is the brother backend.
    Several problems: scanimage -L crashes (core dump), xsane works but detects no scanner.
    Also saned is working as systemclt status saned.socket says it is active.

Any idea?
    Thanks,
    Manu
    Last edited by eallaud-gmail; November 20th, 2016 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Problem was solved

Beans

Re: Problem getting brother MFC printer scanner to work (Yakkety 16.10)

Got it solved.I did 2 things, I don't know which was necessary, so here they are.
    First I copied a few libs around as in https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2321613&page=3.
    I also did something from Brother's FAQ: install libusb-0.1-4
    Apparently brother's drivers use an old libusb and although I own a networked printer scanner this seems to be the crucial step!
    HTH
    Manu

Beans

Re: [solved] Problem getting brother MFC printer scanner to work (Yakkety 16.10)

changing the usb lib to that version alone resolved the segv