Thread: No 'First Start Wizard'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No 'First Start Wizard'

Hello (again),

I'm either too old & thick or just not meant to have Ubuntu!

Bit of history; I first tried to install Ubuntu to dual boot - total failure, then as a VM using Windows Hyper-V - another fail, finally I installed Oracles VirtualBox - but I don't get the 'First Start Wizard'. Help please.

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: No 'First Start Wizard'

What is a 'First Start Wizard'?
    Are you trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 like your profile says?
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Distro

9.04! Goodness me no. I first used Ubuntu many moons ago (Windows XP days) but when I bought my new laptop (with 3 years warranty) I didn't want to potentially compromise said warranty - so now it's expired (yes, I refused to 'upgrade' to many Windows flavours and stayed with XP until 2013) I thought I'd give it another 'go'.

I've just installed VirtualBox and I'm trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 on the VM. Oracle's VB documentation states that when you start the VM for the first time one is presented with the 'First Start Wizard' - I'm not - can't do a thing with it!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ah, VirtualBox's dialog. I've noticed that if certain settings (never figured out which) are changed before the VM is first started, VirtualBox won't show that dialog.

Anyway, all it'd do is prompt you whether you want to insert a disk (image) in the VM's optical drive. You can do the same thing in the VM's Storage settings. Once there, select the VM's optical drive. You will notice a CD icon appears in the area to the right, click it and select your ISO from there.
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Distro

halogen2 - what CD icon?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro

OK - so I got there (eventually) - not at all intuitive. It's installing now. Let's hope I don't have to come back any time soon.