Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to send email after booting in Lubuntu 16.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How to send email after booting in Lubuntu 16.10?

Nope... I have a HP Microserver with no monitor or keyboard and it has a script in rc.local, and it executes on each boot. It never missed even one boot since I configured it.

Double check BIOS settings because there are option to stop boot if there is no keyboard present (remains of ancient times when it was assumed you would have KB on the machine). If that option is active, the BIOS will stop your boot, not ubuntu. Check any BIOS settings that might relate to something like that.

Also, try booting it only with monitor, no KB, to check how it acts (you can at least see something on the monitor).

PS. And did you make the script executable, I believe that is necessary:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /path/filename
    PPS. On the other hand, I am running ubuntu server with no gui, and you lubuntu with a gui. So it might act differently when there is no monitor and KB...
    Last edited by darkod; November 11th, 2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Re: How to send email after booting in Lubuntu 16.10?

Reboot the server, then run
    Code:
    ps ax | grep postfix | grep -v grep
    If that turns up empty, then Postfix isn't being started at boot. In 16.10, with systemd, you might need to run the command
    Code:
    sudo systemctl enable postfix
    to have Postfix start up at boot though usually Postfix is automatically enabled if installed from the repositories. You can then start the server manually with
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start postfix
    Also, you do know that 16.10 has only nine months of support, right? If you're building a server, use a release with long-term support like 16.04.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12