Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16LTS suddenly need to turn off Secure Boot

Beans

16LTS suddenly need to turn off Secure Boot

This has been driving me nuts all this week as I have decided to abandon windows. I installed 16-LTS on Acer laptop i5, 6G, 256-SSD, UEFI and Secure boot enabled with defaults all set in the UEFI etc. Started setting it up and all works fine. Shut down and cold-starts all good. Wine working amazingly well with a few of my own windows programs.

Just now, I needed to get some stuff off the old windows SSD and I had to swap it in and run windows 8.1 to create a file of the stuff.

I swapped the Ubuntu SSD back in and got the "security ... blocked" error. I tried going into the UEFI and resetting the defaults. Restart and same again. Finally turned off Secure Boot and here I am.

So, what did windows change and how can I change it back again to enable Secure Boot to run with 16LTS?

Thanks

Beans

Re: 16LTS suddenly need to turn off Secure Boot

Either the /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi got rewritten (from shimx64,efi to grubx64.efi), and/or the nvram entry booting ubuntu got rewritten from /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi to /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi. Take a look and fix the first case by copying the shimx64.efi back to the bootx64.efi. Fix the second case with efibootmgr.

Beans

Thanks, but I think you think I know more than I do.

Total newbie to Ubuntu/Linux. Can you please point me at some instructions on how to go about these things?

using File Manager I found the efi folder in boot but it will not let me in.

Using Term and logged in as su and no boot64.efi visible. Will give it a try. Back soon -- I hope.

Beans

Take a look at thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2342322 Sounds just like your problem. Oldfred has provided some links to examine. That boot64,efi was a typeo I hope, the location/name is on the EFI System partition /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi. Check the size against /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi, they should be the same. Also, a copy of grubx64.efi should be in the same directory /EFI/Boot, and also a grub.cfg file in /EFI/ubuntu. These bootloaders are optional, but are frequently used as a fallback when the first selection fails (like if grubx64.efi is attempted instead of shimx64.efi with secure boot on). If the fallback also fails, then the second boot selection is tried. The fallback is a good idea, because I have had my "ubuntu" selection get changed from shim to grub, and that sort of change I cannot blame on Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    Take a look at thread
    Thanks, will do. I trashed the entire installation messing with stuff I don't understand. Oooops. All good. I have reinstalled 16LTS and am back at were I was yesterday so it is all working again OK with Secure Boot.

I will check that link and save the URL as I may have to swap in the windows SSD again at some time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When you disconnect a drive, UEFI forgets all entries related to that drive or that drive's ESP - efi system partition. The GUID it uses to find the ESP is gone.
    Most auto find the Windows UEFI boot entry in the ESP, some auto find the fallback/backup entry in /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi, but few find all folders and .efi files for booting.

You may just have needed to use efibootmgr to add a new Ubuntu entry using shimx64.efi.
    Boot-Repair can also indirectly do that with the advanced option of a total reinstall of grub in UEFI mode. If booted in Secure boot mode grub will then add a new UEFI boot entry using shimx64.efi.

And Acer has its unique requirement to set "trust". Not sure if then you have to redo that, or does your system not need that?
    Acer Trust Settings - details:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post13369742
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post13341757

Some threads also mention that Acer needs to have newest UEFI/BIOS from Acer to work. If your system works then I assume you have done that or system has newest UEFI already.
    Last edited by oldfred; November 6th, 2016 at 04:42 PM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks, had to swap back the windows SSD again today. Now back to no Secure Boot. But before doing that I copied the EFI Directory. Now comparing the saved and the current all of the files are the same with the same date of yesterday when I first installed Ubuntu -- again.

Code:
    grub.cfg 126-bytes  Nov-7
    grubx64.efi 958.6-kb  Nov-7
    MokManager.efi 1.3-mb  Nov-7
    shimx64.efi 1.3-mb  Nov-7
    Using OldFred's
    sudo efibootmgr -v
    I get
    Code:
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000
    Boot0000* HDD:     HD(1,800,100000,c03f6c6a-a2eb-4e65-9cd4-ab4e22019548)File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)RC
    Boot0002* SanDisk SDSSDHP256G                 BIOS(2,500,00)................-.o.......o.A.o........................................
    Hindsight being what it is I didn't think to run OldFred's sudo efibootmgr -v BEFORE swapping in windows so have nothing to compare it with.

How can I change "\grubx64.efi" to "\shimx64.efi"? OldFred mentioned it needs to boot "shim..."

Beans

You can run efibootmgr -h to get the help, or the manual pages with man efibootmgr. Instead of changing the 0000 entry loader name with the -l switch, I'd just add a new one (-c ), then set the loader ( -l) and the name (-L), and if necessary, change the bootorder with -o. That way you always have a working (without secure boot enabled) entry, and a fallback if something happens to the shim entry in the future.

Beans

Thanks, but I am a total newbie with Ubuntu. I had already checked "man efibootmgr" as Old Fred opined in his other thread and know I don't know enough to attempt the suggestions in your latest reply.

If you check the outcome of my previous post #3, I went off to do stuff and trashed the entire install and had to start again. I do not want to spend another ten hours installing, configuring, adding programs, etc again by messing with stuff I think I understand.

I am sure you are correct in creating a new entry, but I need a working computer and messing with that process at this stage is just too risky.

The help and manual are way too complex for a first-timer. So, Rather than mash up the boot system again, could someone please just give me single command example to change the filename being used.

Beans

OK, problem solved.
    Found a post from a guy having a similar problem and it can be handled totally in the UEFI settings.

Turn on and tap-tap-tap [F2] to enter UEFI settings
    [Right-arrow] to "Security"
    Set Supervisor password if not already set and the options below will become blue and selectable.
    [Down-arrow] to "Select a UEFI file as trusted to execute"
    "HDD1" [Enter]
    "<EFI>" [Enter]
    It shows three options
    [Down-arrow] to ubuntu
    "<.>"
    "<..>"
    "ubuntu" [Enter]
    It shows available files
    "shimx64.efi"
    "grubx64.efi"
    "MokManager.efi"
    [Down-arrow] to "shimx64.efi" [Enter]
    It asks for a description so I entered "Shim" [Enter]
    "Yes" [Enter]
    [Down-arrow] to "grubx64.efi" [Enter]
    It asks for a description so I entered "Grub" [Enter]
    "Yes" [Enter]
    I don't know anything about MokManager so did not add it.
    [F10]
    "Save and reboot" [Enter]
    System reboots and starts OK WITH Secure boot ENABLED.

Now guys, THAT's how you describe a process to a newbie! Everyone has to start somewhere and taking the time to explain stuff in simple steps goes a loooong way towards getting more people using Linux and helping them get away from windows. Most would have reverted to windows at this point, so please be more patient and specific with a process.

efibootmgr -v now shows...
    Code:
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000,0001
    Boot0000* HDD:     HD(1,800,100000,c03f6c6a-a2eb-4e65-9cd4-ab4e22019548)File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)RC
    Boot0001* Shim    ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(1f,2)03120a00000000000000HD(1,800,100000,c03f6c6a-a2eb-4e65-9cd4-ab4e22019548)File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)A01 ..
    Boot0002* Grub    ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(1f,2)03120a00000000000000HD(1,800,100000,c03f6c6a-a2eb-4e65-9cd4-ab4e22019548)File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)A01 ..
    AND, I didn't have to wade through an hour of cryptic and very technical help files and one-line replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast