Thread: Ubuntu 16.10 no wma encoder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 16.10 no wma encoder

I use 16.04 and 16.10 in dual boot. I use 16.10 to try out new apps, 16.04 is my normal system. Some weeks ago I upgraded 14.04 to 16.04 without major problems and I upgraded 16.04 to 16.10 and since than my wma music does not play anymore. Mp3 and mp4/m4a work OK. The same effect occurs with Clementine, Quod Libet and Rhytmbox. I have reinstalled restricted extras using apt-get and the software center, but that did not change anything.

I have 27GB of music and since 2006, my windows days 95% is wma. My conversion to Ubuntu has been with 10.04.

What to do next, except filing a bug report?
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; November 2nd, 2016 at 05:54 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.10 no wma encoder

Have you tried installing the restricted-extras package for your version? You should also install the gstreamer plugin packages: ugly, bad and good that contain the various codecs. WMA is a proprietary format and does not playback on Linux without adding extra codecs to decode them. The extra codecs may be illegal in your jurisprudence, so use them at your own risk. I recommend you either convert them to a neutral format or repurchase them if possible.
    Last edited by T.J.; November 2nd, 2016 at 06:07 PM.
    T.J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lots of things you could try.

First of all, you could try clearing you package cache before attempting to reinstall ubuntu-restricted-extras again, i.e.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras --reinstall
    Also, you could try installing both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the package.

Finally, ubuntu-restricted-extras only installs the gstreamer1.0 plugins; you could try installing the older gstreamer0.10 and its plugins alongside it, just in case.

Beans

Works here. tested with Clementine.

Beans

For gstreamer decoding of most wma install
    Code:
    sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
    If still issue try removing the .bin file in .cache/gstreamer-1.0/

As far as gstreamer0.10 - in 16.10 it's gone.
    As far as these codecs being illegal - they're not for end user decoding or encoding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@kostkon: OK, I tried cleaning and reinstalling and it did not solve the problem, but now I understand what is wrong. During a short moment of stupidity, I followed your advice by accident on 16.04 and I noticed a lot of other packages where re-installed like e.g the gstreamer and the ms-fonts package. In 16.10 only the package itself "ubuntu-restricted-extras" has been re-installed and nothing else. It looks like dependencies for the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" are missing in 16.10. I don't care to get it corrected now in my 16.10 instance, since 16.10 is only for play, my main system is 16.04 and everything is fine there. My personal interest is to get it corrected in the future and especially for 18.04. In that case I think I should file a problem report.

@mc4man: gsstreamer 1.0-libav and
    gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, the newest versions were already installed.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; November 3rd, 2016 at 01:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post

@mc4man: gsstreamer 1.0-libav and [/FONT][/COLOR]gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly, the newest versions were already installed.
    Maybe try 2 specific wma types, wmapro & wmal, see if they work.

Code:
    wget 'http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/WMA9/wmapro/New%20Stories%20(Highway%20Blues)-1.wma'
    Code:
    wget http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/lossless/luckynight.wma

Beans

If previous suggestion of installing gstreamer1.0-libav does not work, here are some commands that may give us an idea of what is going on:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-tools
    gst-inspect-1.0 | grep -i wma
    ffmpeg -codecs | grep -i wma
    EDIT: Also, if you can't play the files mc4man linked to using the media players you listed, I'd try something that uses ffmpeg/libav directly (like mpv) to see if gstreamer is the issue. All 3 players you referred to (Clementine, Quod Libet and Rhythmbox) use gstreamer.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mpv
    mpv whateverfile.wma
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; November 5th, 2016 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

This is a known problem with the gst-libav1.0 package, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1661842

An updated package with a bug fix is available for 16.04 (Xenial) at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...8.3-1ubuntu0.2

For those like me on 16.10 (Yakkety), I got around it by downloading the xenial package https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archiv....3.orig.tar.xz and then building it so:
    Code:
    tar xvf gst-libav1.0_1.8.3.orig.tar.xz
    cd gst-libav-1.8.3
    sudo apt-get install liborc-0.4-dev # You may have to install other dev packages.
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0
    sudo mv libgstlibav.so libgstlibav.so.old
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstlibav.so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have the same problem with .wma music files and playing them on Rhytmbox. I tried Clementine and .wma files work perfectly however my computer freezes and I have to do a hard reset on my computer to get it running again. Could there be a bug because Rhytmbox doesn't crash my computer.