Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backport of kdepim/kmail ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Backport of kdepim/kmail ?

Having significant problems with KMail, and the forums at http://kde.org have asked if I can enquire about a backport of kdepim/kmail. I'm on Kubuntu 16.04.1, however it seems the KMail version is not current.

Beans

Re: Backport of kdepim/kmail ?

As a disclaimer - this is just my opinion. I believe that Kubuntu rushed into a KDE Frameworks 5 release. The quality of code just isn't there yet. It's been my experience that any version of KDE Frameworks 5 is still buggy, and will be for some time. I realize that doesn't help you. I could theoretically help you backport the lastest KDE Apps to Kubuntu 16.04 - but I can't promise stability or that it would even compile at all. You're better off asking Kubuntu for a patch for the existing Kmail rather than backporting an upstream version with new problems.

Still, it could be interesting to try.
    Last edited by T.J.; November 1st, 2016 at 03:10 AM.
    T.J.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    I believe that Kubuntu rushed into a KDE Frameworks 5 release. The quality of code just isn't there yet. It's been my experience that any version of KDE Frameworks 5 is still buggy, and that It has been for some time. I personally would not expect completely stable behaviour from it or any KDE application compiled against v5 for at least another year.
    Okay thanks. Interesting to know that; I will keep it in mind. KMail crashes many times each day, so the workaround is to restart akonadi server, which has been using 25% of the CPU.

The latest release of KDE Applications has support for KDE 4.14.25 for those who need the latest applications and stability both.
    I'm running Kubuntu 16.04.1 - KMail version info has "Version 5.1.3 - Using:
    KDE Frameworks 5.18.0
    Qt 5.5.1 (built against 5.5.1)
    The xcb windowing system

In synaptic KMail and Kontact have both got this version info - 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1

I'd probably change from KMail if I knew some other mail client had all the features I use. Pegasus Mail was amazing. lol

If you want a stable KDE desktop, I recommend Debian 8.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is Debian 8 ? Isn't Ubuntu and all it's flavours, based on Debian ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    Okay thanks. Interesting to know that; I will keep it in mind. KMail crashes many times each day, so the workaround is to restart akonadi server, which has been using 25% of the CPU.
    As I said, that was an opinion. Others have had better luck, but my tests have yielded less than ideal results. You should probably decide for yourself.
    The xcb windowing system
    The windowing system is called X11. XCB is a programming library for X11. =)
    I'd probably change from KMail if I knew some other mail client had all the features I use. Pegasus Mail was amazing. lol
    You can try Thunderbird.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is Debian 8 ? Isn't Ubuntu and all it's flavours, based on Debian ?
    Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian, specifically Debian Unstable. Debian 8 is the most recent version of Debian. I mentioned it because Debian 8 supports KDE 4. KDE 4 is older, but Debian's KDE is much more stable than Kubuntu. If you really prefer Kmail, this makes it a viable option, in my opinion.
    T.J.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You can try Thunderbird.
    Yes, see how it goes. I don't use Kontact or the other "K"s from the kdepim suite, so maybe Thunderbird will suffice. It would remove my reliance on KMail.

Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian, specifically Debian Unstable. Debian 8 is the most recent version of Debian. I mentioned it because Debian 8 supports KDE 4. KDE 4 is older, but Debian's KDE is much more stable than Kubuntu. If you really prefer Kmail, this makes it a viable option, in my opinion.
    Have been looking through packages from Debian 8. Noticed some versions were like 2014 (youtube-dl). However, I do have a spare HDD that I can install Debian 8 to, boot to it, and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Having significant problems with KMail, and the forums at http://kde.org have asked if I can enquire about a backport of kdepim/kmail. I'm on Kubuntu 16.04.1, however it seems the KMail version is not current.
    We will hopefully have an updated version of kmail in the kubuntu backports ppa in the next few weeks.

Packaging and testing of backports got a little sidelined with work on the release of Yakkety, but I hope things can now catch up somewhat.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acheronuk View Post
    We will hopefully have an updated version of kmail in the kubuntu backports ppa in the next few weeks. Packaging and testing of backports got a little sidelined with work on the release of Yakkety, but I hope things can now catch up somewhat.
    I have a great respect for all of your work as I do for KDE itself, so please do not take anything I have said as any form of disparagement. It has been my experience that the raw KDE Applications bundle from upstream occasionally inherits new bugs and sometimes doesn't even produce a working binary. I find that very odd; it must make your job difficult. The last time with upstream code for me was with Bloglio - everything compiled, but it constantly crashed when configuring it. I believe it was patched finally. The longstanding annoyance for me has been Basket. I'm about ready to patch it myself - there are many issues with drag and drop that have been there for a long time. I do not think the original author maintains it anymore.
    Last edited by T.J.; November 1st, 2016 at 07:39 PM.
    T.J.

Beans

In this case, you may find that Debian 8 fits your particular needs better. It's worth testing; and if it doesn't work out - no big deal. Ubuntu and Debian often help each other out. The Debian Project and Ubuntu are friends; with developers often working in both projects. The reason that Debian and Ubuntu do things differently is just a difference of opinion. There is room in world for both. Don't be discouraged if you run up against a few hardcore people, there are a few on both sides. For myself, I need the best stability I can get, but I love the energy and friendliness of the Ubuntu community, which is why I stop by often.

Have been looking through packages from Debian 8. Noticed some versions were like 2014 (youtube-dl). However, I do have a spare HDD that I can install Debian 8 to, boot to it, and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help.
    That is because Debian values stability over new features. Debian 8 was released in 2015. It is released approximately every two to three years like an Ubuntu LTS. The difference in age is because Debian does not allow new software to be added once the testing freeze has begun - which takes 6 months to a year.If new versions are a concern, Debian maintains a special repository for Debian Stable with updated software called Backports. So that may interest you.

You can also use software directly from Debian Testing or Unstable by pinning or backporting. Debian provides instructions on how to do it. It should also be said that you can install Ubuntu software in Debian (and vice versa) using a chroot with debootstrap.
    Last edited by T.J.; November 1st, 2016 at 07:42 PM.
    T.J.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by acheronuk View Post
    We will hopefully have an updated version of kmail in the kubuntu backports ppa in the next few weeks.

Packaging and testing of backports got a little sidelined with work on the release of Yakkety, but I hope things can now catch up somewhat.
    Oh thanks, great news.

In this case, you may find that Debian 8 fits your particular needs better. It's worth testing; and if it doesn't work out - no big deal.
    Yes, if I installed it on a secondary HDD, and then just boot when testing. I did spend a hour or so looking at Debian yesterday. For me, because I have found so much helpful support in the Ubuntu forums, the first port of call was Debian forums. Checking posts on comparing Debian/Ubuntu and posts about the applications I use. Good comments there, and helpful. Just noticed a few things..

1. Installing/trying doesn't seem so easy. With Kubuntu, just d/load an ISO, put it on USB and go. But there were 3 huge DVD's or the other d/load options were a small iso and then update. What concerned me also was the many links to using peering for downloading. I prefer downloading from the one site, not bits and pieces from many sources.

2. Finding "how to's" and other documentation was no way near as clear and easy as the Ubuntu 'help' sites. It was not as structured and set out as I have become used to with Ubuntu. I assume having a background in structured programming makes me aware of things that do not strictly pertain to structure. lol

For now, I will wait for the backport of KMail. There is a general 'resource' problem with this desktop, but given it's age (8 yrs), it may well be time to update.

Thanks for all your help.

Beans

I did spend a hour or so looking at Debian yesterday. For me, because I have found so much helpful support in the Ubuntu forums, the first port of call was Debian forums. Checking posts on comparing Debian/Ubuntu and posts about the applications I use. Good comments there, and helpful. Just noticed a few things..

I agree with your feelings about the forums. Debian's forums are not as good as Ubuntu's are. Each community has strengths and weaknesses.

1. Installing/trying doesn't seem so easy. With Kubuntu, just d/load an ISO, put it on USB and go.

In order to install Debian you need only the disc 1 ISO. The rest are entirely optional. I haven't downloaded them in years. There is also a minimal disc – which fits on one CD or USB stick.

But there were 3 huge DVD's or the other d/load options were a small iso and then update. What concerned me also was the many links to using peering for downloading. I prefer downloading from the one site, not bits and pieces from many sources.

That's a common assumption, and no harm done. Even when you are using the Ubuntu website, you are downloading from a bunch of different mirrors – same as Debian. Debian just does not bother to hide that fact from you. The reason Debian and Ubuntu use multiple mirrors (and offers torrent or jigdo) is reliability and speed.

2. Finding "how to's" and other documentation was no way near as clear and easy as the Ubuntu 'help' sites. It was not as structured and set out as I have become used to with Ubuntu. I assume having a background in structured programming makes me aware of things that do not strictly pertain to structure. Lol

That's very strange to me. I've always felt the reverse – that Ubuntu's documentation was terrible and Debian's was far more helpful. I've always found answers to my problems elsewhere, that is why I come to the Ubuntu forums to share what I have learned.

You may find this helpful in the future. Much applies to Ubuntu as well, since Ubuntu is made from Debian: https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/

For now, I will wait for the backport of KMail. There is a general 'resource' problem with this desktop, but given it's age (8 yrs), it may well be time to update.

That's okay. It is best to stick with what you feel is best for you. After much frustration, I settled with XFCE. Who knows? You may find Xubuntu is right for you.

Thanks for all your help.

You're very welcome. I do have one thought, if you feel willing to try it. It may not work well. You could try reconfiguring Akonadi to use SQLite to see if that has an effect on your resource problem. I did not suggest it sooner because KDE used to classify it as experimental.It may be problematic for you, since KDE only supports MySQL/MariaDB out of the box. I've always felt that was a bad policy, and a black mark on KDE's reputation for configurability..
    Last edited by T.J.; November 2nd, 2016 at 02:19 AM.
    T.J.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast