Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backport of kdepim/kmail ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Backport of kdepim/kmail ?

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    Okay thanks for the update. Does that mean when it is released I will have to update my sources to get KMail from the backport ppa, or will the backport eventually flow back into the official updates for Xenial 16.04 ?

Interesting that there is a Plasma update also. Plasma crashes many times each day on this 16.04.1
    It will be in the kubuntu backports ppa

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports

Update to Plasma 5.8.4 are also likely to land with it. Hopefully.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by acheronuk View Post
    It will be in the kubuntu backports ppa

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports

Update to Plasma 5.8.4 are also likely to land with it. Hopefully.
    Thanks, I have included that backports repository in my updates.

Now, nearly 300 updates !! Hope it's 'safe' to proceed.
    Last edited by oygle; December 7th, 2016 at 09:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Regarding the backports ppa ...

You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports to your system's Software Sources.
    Can someone please explain the "unsupported" and "untrusted" aspects ? Is it safe to install the updates from the ppa ? Will these updates eventually flow back into the official updates ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please see the info on kubuntu PPAs here:

https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/PPAs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by acheronuk View Post
    Please see the info on kubuntu PPAs here:

https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/PPAs
    Thanks for that. I guess the worst thing that can happen is that I apply the updates and then my Kubuntu may break. lol

I see that Kubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) is released. Possibly a lot of the Kubuntu backports re KMail, Plasma, etc are contained within that release ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I see that Kubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) is released. Possibly a lot of the Kubuntu backports re KMail, Plasma, etc are contained within that release ?
    The KDE applications are, yes.

16.10 also has Plasma 5.7.5 vs Xenial's 5.5.5 (or 5.6.5) in the backports ppa.

However, as said if /when we move our testing packages into the backports ppa, that will be plasma 5.8.4 for both 16.10 and 16.04.

So if you can have a little more patience while we test, there should be no reason to jump ship from whatever version you currently have. Unless of course you want something else non-kubuntu that is only in 16.10 etc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Plasma crashes at least 30 times a day and KMail at least that many times. I assume if I don't want to add the Kubuntu backports or ppa, then I should go to vers 16.10 , is that correct ?

Beans

Plasma crashes at least 30 times a day and KMail at least that many times. I assume if I don't want to add the Kubuntu backports or ppa, then I should go to vers 16.10 , is that correct ?

Well, if you want my advice - which you are free to absolutely ignore - if you want a stable KDE, you should use Debian 8, instead of Kubuntu. I'm not criticizing Kubuntu, rather I am simply acknowledging that Plasma 5 is still under development by the KDE developers upstream, and in spite of Kubuntu's best efforts, it still has a number of bugs to work out, especially with Kwin's compositor.

Debian 8 maintains KDE 4, which is probably the most stable version of KDE available at present.

If you want to stick with Kubuntu I recommend 16.04 LTS, and perhaps disabling the compositor. Either way, Kmail has a few longstanding bugs - which you can usually work around.
    Last edited by T.J.; January 9th, 2017 at 06:30 PM.
    T.J.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    Well, if you want my advice - which you are free to absolutely ignore - if you want a stable KDE, you should use Debian 8, instead of Kubuntu.
    As time goes on, Debian 8 is becoming more attractive. Will it run KMyMoney, LibreOffice, Dolphin. VLC, KMail, Keepassx, Filezilla,etc ?

I assume I would be going backwards, in terms of versions though.

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    If you want to stick with Kubuntu I recommend 16.04 LTS, and perhaps disabling the compositor. Either way, Kmail has a few longstanding bugs - which you can usually work around.
    If Thunderbird or some other email client can do all that KMail can do, then I'd change over. To me, KMail is pretty much 'broken' in Kubuntu 16.04.1

* Constantly hangs or resource problems. ONLY workaround is exit KMail, then akonadictl restart, then back into KMail and hope it works. But many times it doesn't, so exit KMail, restart ......

* Searching does NOT work at all

* There are ghost emails in a number of folders ?

* Folders are often not updated

That's seems like 'broken' to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Having major problems with KMail/akonadi , and need to contact akonadi support. Have tried the KDE forums to no avail.

Does anyone know who I can contact in regards to akonadi support please ? The issue mainly is to get the akonadi db data in synch with the file system.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast