Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 17.04 testing

Beans

Re: (X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 17.04 testing

How sad...

Well I guess it's time to go for Gentoo on my PowerBooks then. Works realy well on my G5 anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Gentoo works my PB as well
    iBook G4 1.42GHz Ubuntu-MATE 15.04
    PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz Debian Wheezy

Beans

Hi All,

Lubuntu and ubuntu MATE have stopped the building of the daily build ISOs for PowerPC but I was able to upgrade ubuntu MATE 17.04 PowerPC today.

Links:

The developers of Lubuntu wants to remove the last PowerPC daily build in a few days.

Lubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus) PowerPC Daily Build ISOs to No Longer Be Produced

I downloaded the last ISOs and uploaded them to my web space yesterday.

Downloads:

ubuntu_MATE_17.04_2017-02-09-powerpc.iso
    Lubuntu_17.04_2017-02-08-powerpc.iso

The daily build ISO for the Ubuntu Server 17.04 PowerPC is still available. (zesty-server-powerpc.iso 2017-02-13 06:49 695M)

Link: Ubuntu Server 17.04 (Zesty Zapus) Daily Build

It's very sad because ubuntu MATE 17.04 PowerPC (PPC32) works very well on our AmigaOnes and PowerMacs.

Screenshots of ubuntu MATE 17.04 PowerPC

On a PowerMac G5 Quad:

On a new AmigaOne X5000:

With the new Firefox 50.1.0 on an AmigaOne X1000:

With the new Thunderbird 45.6.0 on an AmigaOne X1000:

With the new MATE 1.17.2 on an AmigaOne X1000:

More screenshots: https://plus.google.com/u/0/115515624056477014971

ubuntu MATE 17.04 PowerPC test threads for AmigaOnes:

(X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 17.04 Zesty Zapus -- Platform: AmigaOne X5000 - Linux Only

(X)(L)ubuntu (MATE) 17.04 Zesty Zapus -- Platform: AmigaOne X1000 - Linux Only

Rgds,

Christian

Beans

Folks:
    Downloaded a daily of 17.04 PPC alpha recently and a couple days ago found the time to boot it up and give it a test run on my PowerMac 3,1 G4. Initially there were a bunch of I/O errors while booting up, which went on for awhile until we finally got to cursor and GUI session--so that part was fine and didn't require any boot params to get done.

But, the "Welcome" screen appeared, however it was devoid of data; Software Boutique was the same. I believe that both of these apps produced a crash report window, can't be sure since the crash window opened a bit after launching the session--the first one said, "Executable path-- /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/webkit2gtk-4.0/WebKitWebProcess" . . . with a further error when I tried to upload the crash report that it generated . . . "cannot connect to crash database-plz check internet connection." I opened a Terminal and ran "ping google.com" and it showed connection was fine. Possibly something with apport that is not working?

No Firefox or any web browser seemed included?
    There was, as mentioned, another crash as I tried to restart out of the session, possibly from the Software Boutique app that opened to an empty window--since it was logging out I didn't see if the report said anything different than the first one.

"Restart" goes to a blinking cursor on black background . . . "failed deactivating swap" . . . and then didn't restart after the disk was ejected--had to hit the power button to shut down.
    That's the report from PPC-land for 17.04 U-MATE, some things like basic GUI were fine out of the box, but, still very "Alpha" in nature. Possibly there will be no further efforts made on PPC distros, but, as Xeno mentioned . . . "that is sad" because the computers are still generally working quite well for basic applications and the users are still there.

e.e.p.

Beans

I installed it on G5 quad and there is issue with usb . pratically keyboard and mouse dont work on lightdm after installation
    I try to swap the kernel with lastest rc without positive result.
    I hope will be able to disable lightdm for check if in terminal will be no issue if not mate 17.04 will be out for G5 quad ....
    What i dont understand is : ok you need to kill the ppc32 be but why you kill ppc64 be to? no PPC64 ubuntus at all ... and there are many machine new too ppc64 .
    Really bad, really bad at all

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luigiburdo View Post
    What i dont understand is : ok you need to kill the ppc32 be but why you kill ppc64 be to? no PPC64 ubuntus at all ... and there are many machine new too ppc64 .
    Really bad, really bad at all
    @luigib:

From my post on the U-MATE forum it is very clear that they will be dropping support for PPC 17.04 shortly. However, another mod there posted a link to "some options" for PPC . . . Debian . . . which of course we know is the reason why ubuntu is dropping support; OpenSUSE, which to my knowledge never had a PPC distro; and finally Fedora . . . hmmm, Fedora, maybe they will have support for PPC? I clicked on the link and the info page shows "F-25" or F-26??? And it says that they haven't supported 32 bit since F-17?? But they do support 64 bit PPC "big-endian" . . . G5 . . . and then went on to mention "Power 7" and "Power8" as supported . . . .

Unfortunately my PPC machines are 32bit . . . so, if I want U-MATE DE I'll have to re-install 16.04 at some point, or just continue with the XFCE DE that was left "alive" after the DE upgrade failed . . . . For those of you who have G5 or 64 bit PPC, perhaps Fedora will be the way "forward"??? Seems like they offer "spins" with all of the popular DE's . . . . Hope that helps . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

hi este,
    you true but was im thinking is about new powerpc 64 BE machines, i was not only thinking about powermacs. there are many emb too. 32bit are small parts today in the scene.
    this made me creazy about they totally cut a support of one architecture because are leazy.
    Last edited by luigiburdo; February 19th, 2017 at 12:51 PM.

Beans

@este.el.paz, luigiburdo:

If you want current software & kernels on you ppc-hardware you can always run Gentoo. stable and testing packackes are a bit behind amd64, but not much. At default settings it does not run MATE and LibreOffice (you have to stick to XFCE4 or Openbox), but you can add that easily. Been running MATE 1.16 under Gentoo for months on my G5 and it works well. The only downside is that it take much compile time to build the system on a G4. It took my G5 a day to get to the MATE desktop and another one for LibreOffice and Otter-Browser.

But on the other hand, Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 works comfortably too. And due to more recent mesa & kernel some driver-bugs are gone.
    PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.13 / Gentoo Linux / Void Linux]
    A1200. ACA-1233/55, Indivision AGA Mk2, 4 GiB CF. [Amiga OS 3.2]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12