Thread: I don't get it

Beans

I don't get it

So a long time ago, there was Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" and I had a cartoon needle avatar with a "Hardy Heroin" avatar and I was asked to remove it because some people found it offensive (or something like that). Now I see witches and bats as cursors and other Halloween/Samhain stuff on this site that is supposedly offensive to Christians.

Witches, bats, those are okay, but cartoon syringes?? OMG! Think of the children!!!

So... WTF?

I use drugs (no, not heroin) that aren't prescribed by a physician and I feel discriminated against and stigmatized. I could type a lot more about this discrimination, but don't feel like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: I don't get it

You're concerned about an issue that happened eight years ago? Or are you offended by the witches, bats, and other Halloween ephemera? It seems to me there's a big difference between celebrating a fun, popular holiday, and promoting illegal drug use.

We have staff from all over the world, and from all walks of life. We constantly discuss how we can improve the forum experience for everyone, not just Christians, pagans, Neo-Hellenists, or any other group, religious or otherwise. Also staff changes over the years, people come and go online as they do in real life. But the Code of Conduct remains mostly the same.

You've contributed a lot to the forum over the years, and I'm sorry if you felt "picked on" by past staff action. Our intention is always to keep the forums running as smoothly as possible.

Beans

Re: I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    You're concerned about an issue that happened eight years ago?
    I like to see logicial consistency in these sorts of things. I'm funny that way.

Or are you offended by the witches, bats, and other Halloween ephemera?
    No, but others could be.

It seems to me there's a big difference between celebrating a fun, popular holiday, and promoting illegal drug use.
    No one was doing that. It was just a bit of innocuous wordplay.

You've contributed a lot to the forum over the years, and I'm sorry if you felt "picked on" by past staff action. Our intention is always to keep the forums running as smoothly as possible.