Thread: My Xubuntu 16.04 experience

Beans

My Xubuntu 16.04 experience

I'm been using Xubuntu for five years now, I always stick to the LTS versions for stability reasons, and for the first time in five years, I gotta say, "Ubuntu, we have a problem."

Let me make this perfectly clear, I love Xubuntu, these problems I'm experiencing will not make me hate on it or go back to Windows, I'm not ever going to back to Windows, I like Linux in general because of the security it provides, in five years of using Xubuntu, I have never experienced viruses, and I like the fact that Xubuntu is highly customizable and less resource hungry compared to Windows.

GNOME SOFTWARE CENTER

I'm sorry, but how did GNOME Software Center get past the approval stages? LTS releases empathize stability, however, GNOME Software Center is the most unstable software center I've ever experienced. It sometimes crashes, it doesn't install .deb files, I had to install GDebi Package Installer for that, I never had to do that in Ubuntu Software Center. No history of installed and uninstalled software, I have to go to '/var/log/apt/history.log' for that, I never had to do that in Ubuntu Software Center.

At the moment, I'm using Synaptic Package Manager to install my software.

HARDWARE SUDDENLY NOT WORKING

Since Xubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, my Canon LIDE 110 has worked out of the box, that's 4 years, then suddenly upgrading to 16.04, my scanner doesn't work.

For more details on the problem: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2340138

For this reason I cannot suggest Ubuntu for business like law firms and other such businesses that heavily relies on scanners, as a scanner not working is a heavy blow to their work flow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: My Xubuntu 16.04 experience

I switched to Mate because of similar issues with Xubuntu and thus now, I no longer support Xubuntu. But Mate is very good, and I liked it so much, I became a Patreon, because if it weren't for Ubuntu Mate, I'd be running another Linux distribution altogether, or perhaps FreeBSD. I suggest that you try Ubuntu Mate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am running a highly customized xubuntu 16.04 on several machines and for the most part its a very solid release. However, I did have a problem with my laptop that I just could not get around (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2337220). So, I needed to upgrade that bad boy to 16.10 and it's been rock solid ever since.

I have the greatest admiration for the xubuntu dev team, their all volunteers. With all the possible hardware combinations in play, its very difficult to QA a systems and test everything.
    Personally, I did try Mate but found it to be less customizable than xubuntu. But, thats just me
    Last edited by makitso; October 23rd, 2016 at 03:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

^^ dito!

Exception.

Only one machine and it is on 9 year old hardware and runs like a top on 16.04. Tis truly a dedicated team effort. They put out a great product, and I hope they do so for years to come. I am always at a loss when I multi-boot other desktops, for lacking of any similar customization availability.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I switched to Mate because of similar issues with Xubuntu and thus now, I no longer support Xubuntu. But Mate is very good, and I liked it so much, I became a Patreon, because if it weren't for Ubuntu Mate, I'd be running another Linux distribution altogether, or perhaps FreeBSD. I suggest that you try Ubuntu Mate.
    Out of all of the Ubuntu 16.04 flavors I like Ubuntu Mate 16.04 the best everything I need or use is in a drop down window from the panel and I also like the four different work spaces it offers.
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 just seems to work well for me.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ardouronerous View Post
    LTS releases empathize stability, however, GNOME Software Center is the most unstable software center I've ever experienced. It sometimes crashes, it doesn't install .deb files, I had to install GDebi Package Installer for that, I never had to do that in Ubuntu Software Center.
    it emphasizes support more than stability.

and stability doens't mean no crashes. it means that the packages don't change and for that reason that certain behaviour is expected / known

it is funny to me how they all use same kernel, same drivers, yet some devices work in one flavour of Ubutnu but not the other. printers might work in one DE but not the other. mobile phones work wlel in one but not the other. and all that was supposed to change is the graphics interface ot the same OS.

also it is silly when hardware that worked perfectly well suddenly doesn't anymore. then you report a bug. and they say on average bugs get solved in 5 years time in linux. wow.

i bet you would get an emergency overnight patch if the iPhone didn't connect to windows well.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

]I'm been using Xubuntu for five years now, I always stick to the LTS versions for stability reasons, and for the first time in five years, I gotta say, "Ubuntu, we have a problem."
    I must agree when I tested it - but it is for different reasons that I say so.

At the moment, I'm using Synaptic Package Manager to install my software.
    Being a Debian person - I use Synaptic and aptitude.

Since Xubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, my Canon LIDE 110 has worked out of the box, that's 4 years, then suddenly upgrading to 16.04, my scanner doesn't work.
    That is unusual. Have you tried manually installing the scanner driver? It sounds like an iscan problem. I don't have a Cannon, but I do the same with my Epson scanner.
    Last edited by T.J.; November 7th, 2016 at 10:12 PM.
    T.J.

Beans

The first thing to do after installing xubuntu 16.04 is install synaptic. Never use the software manager. I had the same trouble as the original poster, but since installing synaptic & using that for updates & new software, no problem on any machine I've set up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    That is unusual. Have you tried manually installing the scanner driver? It sounds like an iscan problem. I don't have a Cannon, but I do the same with my Epson scanner.
    Canon doesn't provide a Linux driver for their scanner though, as I said, my scanner worked out of the box with previous LTS releases 12.04 and 14.04, and now, I'm using Windows XP via Virtualbox to make my scanner work, I'm not happy with that setup, but at least I can get my work done at least.