Thread: Computer crashes and shuts down

Beans

Computer crashes and shuts down

I'm sorry in advance I didn't know where to post this.

For the past few years I used windows 7, until around June/July time I started to experience crashes in some games that had worked for years, then during the summer it got to the point where entering a game would crash my computer and force a restart meaning I couldn't play most games, then recently it got so bad it was shutting down outside of games until finally I got into a bsod loop continually shutting down. This is when I decided to return to Ubuntu which I used on my old computer. So at first I installed it alongside windows and when I got to the log on page I would get a jumbled screen and my computer would restart, so I re installed with just Ubuntu on its own and have been running it no problem for about a week now, playing games fine and having no problems, believing the problem was fixed. Now today when I was playing payday 2 the game crashed and my computer shut down and restarted, I logged back in and the same thing happened again in game, then now I have logged back in to freeze on the desktop and it has been a while like that but has not shut down. Does this sound similar to a problem anyone else has had on either windows 7 or Ubuntu, I tried many fixes on windows but none worked, and just in case it helps I am running 16.04 LTS 64 bit with a nvidia 650 gtx graphics card and an amd CPU gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P. Does anyone know how to safely get out of the crash and possibly help with possible fixes? Thank you in advance

Beans

Re: Computer crashes and shuts down

Hi
    This seems very much a video software/hardware problem
    Since there are problems across 2 os maybe the video card is at fault
    Could try just running xserver (default) cos you may have on-chip graphics & that should give you a starting point
    Then you can start bringing the gtx into play using proprietrary software
    Cheers