Thread: Installing on MacBook Pro (2012) with MacOS Sierra V10.12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installing on MacBook Pro (2012) with MacOS Sierra V10.12

Hi all. I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with the new Sierra. I enjoy MacOS and have no real issues with it, but I just miss working with Ubuntu and Linux in general. I really don't have the money to throw to a System76 machine, so I think I will duel boot.

Before I do...I have two questions.

1. Is this a good idea? I mean, be honest with me. With the way MacOS works now days, is it worth the hassle? How hard is it to totally jack up my system? Should I just get a beat up used laptop to work with? I'd rather not, but...

2. I've seen some tutorials about creating the duel boot, but for those who have actually done it, can you tell me what process you used? I'm not asking anyone to walk me through it personally (though I wouldn't mind), but if you have a good link to work with, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you all. I appreciate it!

Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Installing on MacBook Pro (2012) with MacOS Sierra V10.12

Dual boot really can be a bit of a hassle to set up. Is this not an option for you?
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I've got it. And I thought it would solve the itch, but it didn't. I may go back and work with it some more. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdansmith View Post
    Hi all. I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with the new Sierra. I enjoy MacOS and have no real issues with it, but I just miss working with Ubuntu and Linux in general. I really don't have the money to throw to a System76 machine, so I think I will duel boot.

Before I do...I have two questions.

1. Is this a good idea? I mean, be honest with me. With the way MacOS works now days, is it worth the hassle? How hard is it to totally jack up my system? Should I just get a beat up used laptop to work with? I'd rather not, but...

2. I've seen some tutorials about creating the duel boot, but for those who have actually done it, can you tell me what process you used? I'm not asking anyone to walk me through it personally (though I wouldn't mind), but if you have a good link to work with, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you all. I appreciate it!

Dan
    I just completed the installation of Ubuntu on my Macbook Pro.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2340116

I'm not an expert but, I think I can help you out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you! Wonderful to hear that you were successful in the end. I have some stuff going on this weekend (I'm a freelance writer with a deadline), but I'm going to hold on to your other thread and reference it when I start. Might shoot you a message as I get going. I'll probably do it next weekend.

Thanks again!