Thread: Recommendations from blind Linux users

Beans

Recommendations from blind Linux users

Hello! I'd love to hear any advice from blind Linux users using screen readers.

From my research, it seems that Unity, GNOME and MATE are the best options for an accessible desktop that will work well with screen reader software, while XFCE is a poor choice. Which of the three would be the best option?

In terms of software, is Orca the best option available? And if so, what is recommended to get the best possible results out of it (especially with regards to the quality of the voice)?

Beans

Re: Recommendations from blind Linux users

Dear bogdanp2

Quote Originally Posted by bogdanp2 View Post
    Hello! I'd love to hear any advice from blind Linux users using screen readers.
    You should know that blind users prefer mailing list instead of forum. The most actives mailling list are the orca-list and blinux-list as I know.

From my research, it seems that Unity, GNOME and MATE are the best options for an accessible desktop that will work well with screen reader software, while XFCE is a poor choice. Which of the three would be the best option?
    Mate is for me the best choice because the interface is really simple to deal with.

In terms of software, is Orca the best option available? And if so, what is recommended to get the best possible results out of it (especially with regards to the quality of the voice)?
    Orca is the alone screen reader available. For the voice it depends on what you are already familiar with and the language you speak.

Best regards.

Beans

Re: Recommendations from blind Linux users

Many thanks for your helpful response. I'll take a look at those mailing lists.