Thread: Cant access hard drive

Beans

Cant access hard drive

Hi,

Recently installed Ubuntu from Windows 10. Wanted to run Ubuntu alongside Windows and keep all my files from windows while using Ubuntu. Everytime i try to access my files it comes up with,

Unable to access “Hard Drive 1TB”
    Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/tom/Hard Drive 1TB: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=100 0" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/tom/Hard Drive 1TB"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
    Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
    read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

Can anyone help me out so I can access my windows files while on Ubuntu? I'm new to linux so not sure how to go about it.

Cheers

EDIT:

FIX: You need to go back to the Windows OS and turn off hibernation in Shutdown settings. Problem solved for me
    Last edited by snowcap96; October 18th, 2016 at 02:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Cant access hard drive

Open a terminal from within Windows and issue the command FIXBOOT. That might fix your drive, which does show an error. You shouldn't have any problem at all accessing a healthy NTFS drive; I do it with every reboot.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Recently installed Ubuntu from Windows 10. Wanted to run Ubuntu alongside Windows and keep all my files from windows while using Ubuntu.
    If you installed Win10 yourself using BIOS not UEFI, does this mean what I think it might mean, ie, that from a running Windows OS you installed Ubuntu using the old, and now deprecated wubi?

If so, I suspect you will not get much help here as most users have not seen nor used wubi for a very long time, and if this is your situation, I suggest you investigate a proper dual boot system

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot for more detailed info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Tell us please what the solution was; it is very helpful for users searching the forum.