Thread: RStudio & MATE 16.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

RStudio & MATE 16.10

I upgraded to 16.10 but, alas, RStudio is now broken. I am loathe to switch back to 16.04, perhaps I should try another R GUI ? It's a pity, because RStudio is really super.

The above upgrade was on my travel netbook; my desktop is still version 16.04 and given my desire to use RStudio, will not be upgraded anytime soon.
    Last edited by RichardET; October 16th, 2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: grammer, etc.

Beans

Re: RStudio & MATE 16.10

It is because rstudio depends on gstreamer-0.1.0 but it is deprecated in 16.10, see here. It is annoying but can be easily fixed. Just need to grab the two missing packages from xenial's repo. For details ee my comment here. I have filed a bug at rstudio's forum. It has not been approved by the moderator yet. Once it is I will post a link here maybe you can add an affect me too or something to the effect.

P.S. shouldn't have rushed to upgrade. I am sticking to 16.04 for a while. It is the best release for me so far (Screenshot is from a test 16.10 install on a damaged laptop that I don't use)

P.P.S This should really be a support thread since there is a solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 17th, 2016 at 07:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Moved to Multimedia Software.

Presume you are looking for support and not just wanting a chat. If so, best to post in a support area ...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    P.S. shouldn't have rushed to upgrade.
    Best to wait a month or six and by then it is almost EOL (interim releases are supported for nine months). Often wonder why people rush for the latest (which is generally not always the greatest) when the OS they are running is supported for five years and working perfectly ...

I generally install new releases on a separate partition or as a virtual machine and fiddle with them if I'm curious. Stick to LTS releases myself. Haven't got the time or inclination to be reinstalling and reconfiguring every six months.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 17th, 2016 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

Actually Rstudio is not a multimedia software, it is an IDE for the statistical/data mining software R, so it is more of an application for development, even though it for some reasons requires gstreamer.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 17th, 2016 at 07:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Apologies, my mistake. In that case ...

Thread moved to General Help.

Beans
    Distro

I know. I know. my bad.

Beans

They told me that they have already switched to gstreamer-1.0 in the developmental branch. If you don't want to install gstream-0.1.0 from xenia you can get Rstudio 1.0.102 or higher from here (actually 1.0.102 seems to be the highest) It should install in 16.10.

Beans
    Distro

it took a couple hours, but I reverted back to 16.04; All's well that ends well!