Thread: 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) Known bugs and work-a-rounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

16.10 (Yakkety Yak) Known bugs and work-a-rounds

For me, this dev cycle was pretty boring, except for occasional lockups, that were fixed with the release of the 4.8 kernel.

The big thing this time around, is the Unity 8 preview, it's pretty early in development, so it's still pretty buggy. I wasn't able to get a working desktop until the final release ISO, so I haven't really had much of a chance to squash any bugs, but there are enough to go around for everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) Known bugs and work-a-rounds

One bug for example is a logic bug or wish list bug with the Libertine container creation process. Although there is a spinning indicator while the container is being created , it sometimes can take a little while for the container to be created .. sometimes it can best several minutes (like 10mins+) so a user may think there is something wrong and abort, log-off or quit.

There are also some other instructional bugs where there are no hints, etc.. of how to actually get to the desktop apps icon and that you have to run your apps that you have installed in a particular container.

Also .. if a user installs a terminal app like xterm in a container and then installs :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
    sudo apt-get install inxi
    sudo apt-get install htop
    those programs will only work in that container!! They will not work across the board , ie; you need to install those utils in the terminal.click in the scopes session to run them and glxgears will not run in terminal.click app but will run from xterm that has been installed in a container so there is a whole new logic and preceedure and learning curve here.

Regards..

Beans

16.10 has royally screwed up avahi / mDNS

Can't access an avahi announcement from another machine. Can't even ping by it like this:
    Code:
    ping hostname.local
    Turns out a line in /etc/nsswitch.conf is backwards.

It reads like this:
    hosts: files resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
    Works way better when you reverse it:
    hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns

Beans

And another thing about mDNS / Avahi. Printing.

Back in the good old days of 16.04 the system automatically located and made usable network printers because of a package called cups-browsed:
    This package provides cups-browsed, a daemon which browses the Bonjour
    broadcasts of shared remote CUPS printers and makes the printers
    available locally, replacing the CUPS broadcasting/browsing which was
    dropped in CUPS 1.6.x. This way the old behavior of having the remote
    printers available automatically is now re-implemented with Bonjour.
    Bonjour is Apple-speak for Avahi / mDNS. And avahi-daemon is running just fine thank you very much.

With nsswitch.conf in it's default state this is what I get when I launch "Printers":
    Printers-Withour-mDNS.png
    With the change to nsswitch I posted previously this is what I get now:
    Printers-With-mDNS.png

Beans

DNS problems with vpnc and Network Manager

If you are using vpnc to connect to VPN and using Network Manager to manage your network
    Code:
    sudo apt install vpnc
    sudo vpnc-connect vpnserver
    After succesful connection with vpnc nslookup works fine but ping not.

Code:
    zajc@comp:~$ nslookup computer
    Server:        127.0.1.1
    Address:    127.0.1.1#53

Name:   computer
    Address: 172.16.1.150
    Code:
    zajc@comp:~$ ping computer
    ping: computer: Name or service not known
    The workaround is to disable the local forwarding nameserver by commenting out the line "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
    Code:
    [main]plugins=ifupdown,keyfile,ofono
    #dns=dnsmasq

[ifupdown]
    managed=false
    Last edited by zajcek; October 17th, 2016 at 08:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This not a support thread, if you've run into a problem, and found a way to fix it, post it here.

Beans

The feature of creating a new document by right clicking is missing from Nautilus's context menu in Ubuntu 16.10 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1632027

Workaround: create an empty txt file (say with geditl) and then place it in ~/Templates (create it if it doesn't exist), the option of creating a new document will show up in the context menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have noticed a couple of drivers missing from 16.10, namely the AMD HD7500/7600M video chip (maximum resolution 1024 x 768) and the Huawei E153 3g USB modem (just doesn't work).

Both worked in 16.04. I can't find a workaround except to return to 16.04.
    "Strive to be the person your dog thinks you are"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HereInOz View Post
    I have noticed a couple of drivers missing from 16.10, namely the AMD HD7500/7600M video chip (maximum resolution 1024 x 768) and the Huawei E153 3g USB modem (just doesn't work).

Both worked in 16.04. I can't find a workaround except to return to 16.04.
    Please see post #6, if you don't have a work-around, don't post in this thread.

Beans

HI all, I just updated my system from 15.10 to 16.10, and I've accumulated a list of the problems I hit and how I worked around them here.

The biggest issue I had, by far, was with DNS. The move to systemd-resolved threw me for a loop. I ended up dumping NetworkManager and switching to systemd-networkd to handle my connections, this way the DNS servers from DHCP would be passed along to systemd-resolved and put into /etc/resolv.conf. (Details about how to do this here.)

Furthermore, systemd-resolved seems to have a problem resolving "local" hostnames. That is, unqualified names that are served by the DNS server in my wireless router that return IP addresses on the local subnet (I don't mean mdns!). I think this is a bug in systemd-resolved, so I removed "resolve" from /etc/nsswitch.conf, so it will always fall back to "dns". This probably leaves me open to the sorts of things that DNSSEC is supposed to protect me from, though.