Thread: 16.04 kernel update, then frozen at restart

Beans

16.04 kernel update, then frozen at restart

I keep everything updated every day, and today there was a kernel update. So I updated, then I restarted, then the computer is frozen at the login screen. Nothing works, no keyboard, no mouse, etc. So, I used escape key to boot to previous kernel, but don't know what to do to fix the issue. What am I supposed to do, because if I reboot without using grub to go to previous kernel, it just keeps being frozen at login screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: 16.04 kernel update, then frozen at restart

Hello and welcome, Try holding down the shift key while your machine is booting this will also display the Grub menu, you should be able to choose a older kernel version, if you don't see a list of older kernel versions click on advanced options there should be a list for you to choose from. Hope this helps
    Last edited by RobGoss; October 17th, 2016 at 12:11 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RobGoss View Post
    Hello and welcome, Try holding down the shift key while your machine is booting this will also display the Grub menu, you should be able to choose a older kernel version, if you don't see a list of older kernel versions click on advanced options they should be a list for you to choose from. Hope this helps
    I got that far. What I wanted to know is what to do after that.

Beans

Scroll down about three options, to the previous generic ubuntu option. Boot that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

As Jayers55 stated you should be able to choose a earlier kernel and boot from that
    Last edited by RobGoss; October 15th, 2016 at 09:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gottier View Post
    I got that far. What I wanted to know is what to do after that.
    Update again, there was an issue with a kernel update over the last day or two, which was solved by a newer kernel being released shortly after. Hopefully that is all you will have to do.