Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04.x 64 bit LTS "Xenial Xerus:" choppy video performance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 16.04.x 64 bit LTS "Xenial Xerus:" choppy video performance

I removed the bbswitch-dkms software package and things continue to improve. Playing online videos is smoother with fewer dropped frames. There are a few random dropped frames during online video playback. VLC using the nVidia VDPAU hardware accelerated decoding is much smoother with few dropped frames.

Is there anything else that I can do to eliminate dropped video frames and random stuttering in video performance?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I see 367 is long lived branch, but ppa has 370. Does nVidia say the changes to 370 help your model or just general improvements?

I think bbswitch was for use with Bumblebee, but new copies of nVidia have obsoleted Bumblebee for most systems. But Bumblebee was only for dual video laptops anyway.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

oldfred:

Thank you very much for the replies and help thus far.

Nvidia 370.28 64 bit is beta which means that I am not likely to try it until the 370 series becomes stable in the future. I check the nVidia website fairly regularly since I own three computers. I also own a mid-2016 Acer Predator 17X gaming laptop and a mid-2015 Apple MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display. I use Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit "Anniversary Update" and MacOS 10.12 64 bit "Sierra." Since I am using Ubuntu 16.04.x 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux on my mid-2015 Zareason Zeto gaming desktop PC, I want to use as much stable software as possible. I don't need the latest and greatest stable software packages, but I found that upgrading to Linux kernel 3.67 AMD64 helped to improve desktop video performance a bit better. I may downgrade to Linux kernel 4.4.x AMD64 to test it now that I realized thanks to your help to remove bbswitch-dkms software package later tonight just to see how it performs.

Is there anything else that I should do other than to keep Ubuntu up to date on a regular basis? I am hoping nVidia fixes whatever problems with desktop video performance with the 370 series or a newer series to follow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cannot help much further.

My desktop was intended not to even have a video card & just use the Intel gpu.
    But I missed video outputs on z97 motherboard did not match any of the video inputs on older LCD monitor. So I added an older nVidia 620GT just to have correct ports. But primarily using open source video driver without issue. One or two of my installs I have installed the nVidia from Ubunutu's repository which is not quite the newest. Did not notice any real difference with my now older card.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

I wanted to thank oldfred for his input and help this weekend. I downgraded to Linux kernel 4.4.x AMD64 and I checked for updates and Ubuntu downloaded and installed more open and closed source software packages for the Xorg display server and client along with graphics drivers. After I restarted my desktop PC, desktop video performance is very smooth. There are almost no dropped video frames or random stuttering for online videos and for my TV show in VLC. I have to test SteamOS + GNU/Linux PC game titles this upcoming week, but I will get to that when I have time. I am experiencing near fluid desktop video performance once again and I am grateful to oldfred and the Ubuntu Forums community for taking a look at my thread.

Beans
    Distro

This problem still persists. I upgraded to Linux kernel 3.8 AMD64 and nVidia 370.28 AMD64 and I still get pretty choppy video performance. At this point, I think I might move to a different GNU/Linux distribution, but I am open to ideas. What else can I do to fix this problem? It's affecting all video playback from SteamOS + GNU/Linux PC game titles to playing back online videos to playing TV shows that I downloaded and play using VLC with the VDPAU option selected.

Beans

dropped frames (choppy playback) can result from A/V desynchronisation. What happens if you playback any of these samples which are video only?
    http://jell.yfish.us/

No fan here of vlc, maybe you should learn/try mpv though not sure that's your style of player so to speak (vlc has Tools > Codec info..> Statistics that may be informative, alt+o c alt+t from keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    dropped frames (choppy playback) can result from A/V desynchronisation. What happens if you playback any of these samples which are video only?
    http://jell.yfish.us/

No fan here of vlc, maybe you should learn/try mpv though not sure that's your style of player so to speak (vlc has Tools > Codec info..> Statistics that may be informative, alt+o c alt+t from keyboard
    Thanks for the above link of files. On my Inspiron 3655 with an A8 processor, onboard ATI graphics, the playback is quite good. I am using 64 bit Ubuntu Mate, version 16.04.1;

Beans
    Distro

mc4man:

I downloaded the top two files and the video playback was smooth on both of them although there was no audio. Can you explain A/V desychronization in detail to me? What is causing this problem with choppy video playback and how do I fix it?

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
    Is this a step in the right direction? I get smooth video performance, but I get audio stuttering at random times. Do I need to fix my pulseaudio? How do I do this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast