Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What country would you move to if you had to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up What country would you move to if you had to?

(of course this has nothing to do with last night's USA Presidential debate.... honest (as a politician)!)

If you had to leave your current country of residence, where would you go? Why?

I think I would go to somewhere in the UK, because ... well, I don't know any other language.

Unfortunately I don't know the nuances of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland to say which one I would go to. Any recommendations?

I would go to Australia but I've seen the pictures of the spiders they have there and while I am not phobic of spiders, I generally don't like the idea of spiders that look big enough to walk off with small children! Yikes!

This is for light-hearten conversation. Please, no politics or nastiness, just list what you LIKE about a country of choice and maybe gentle ribbing of other countries but nothing serious!

Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What country would you move to if you had to?

Interesting conversation.

For me, if I was to leave Canada, I would like to live in Southern Ireland. My ancestry is from there on both sides of parent's families. In fact, my dad's dad was born and raised in county Galway, (very rocky land and poor farmers there). He built a home himself and then decided to immigrate to Canada. There are cousins of my father that still live in that home. I think I would choose to live in prettier and more moderate climate areas like the Eastern side facing the Irish sea, versus the full Western coast of Ireland that faces the Atlantic Ocean like Galway, that has the more severe weather.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans

The Land of Chocolate

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    The Land of Chocolate
    Belgium?

I have a few destinations in mind.

One of Croatian islands (mild winters, warm summers, plenty of olive oil and good sea food).
    Singapore - but only if i had descent salary and not too much stress

One of the Indonesian islands (Lombok is very calm and peacefull or maybe one of those closer to Australia for a less tropical climate, if i went to Java then not by the sea, but up in the mountains, not Bali). Or better yet (and assuming i didn't have kids to look after anymore) - get a yacht and go arround. Their language is really easy to learn and people are generaly very friendly to "whites". i think cause they are making business ties of sorts

Another good destination might be Spain (sourthern part). I am writing "might be" because i was never down south but from the pics and knowing some people from the region...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I hear Mars is looking pretty good nowadays!
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I guess I could go to Canada. I think then I would be able to still enjoy the fall foliage I get now.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm already planning to move. Not to another country, but back to Montana in the US.

In communicable disease models in the form of a zombie apocalyse, the central Rockies in Wyoming north into Canada are the safest place to be.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Well if I had to...I guess for fun in the sun.
    Jamaica is an island country situated in the Caribbean Sea, consisting of the third-largest island of the Greater Antilles. The island, in area, lies about south of Cuba, and west of Hispaniola, the island containing the nation-states of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Jamaica is the fourth-largest island country in the Caribbean, by area.
    And sip drinks with umbrellas on the beach....LOL
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I would go to Australia but I've seen the pictures of the spiders they have there and while I am not phobic of spiders, I generally don't like the idea of spiders that look big enough to walk off with small children! Yikes!
    They get smaller the further south you get and none of them come looking for you. Worth a visit. (The larger ones aren't always that venomous; it's the little beggars you gotta watch out for!)

I'd like to go to New Zealand. Not too adventurous I guess as it's just 'across the ditch'. Would like to visit a lot of places but not sure I'd want to live in any other.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 28th, 2016 at 08:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    In communicable disease models in the form of a zombie apocalyse, the central Rockies in Wyoming north into Canada are the safest place to be.
    a bit off topic but since this whole area is off...

i always though something like this would be better in case of such events: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hochosterwitz_Castle

14 fortified gates, it's own garden, storage room, watter supply...
    or any other well renovated and fortified castle/town. e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

Islands should also be safer, as long as there is watter and food. island with a fort on it, is even better.

USA culture and peoples reaction in case of catastrophic events is strange to me. i am being shocked by it. depiction in film as well as real life (e.g. Katrina) just do not make sense to me. not long ago there was huge flooding in Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia. And people that used to be at war not long ago came together, cooperated and helped eachother. never read about any looting or rapes. similary if you look at the 2003 tsunami disaster. people were swepped inlands, houses destroyed, familly members klilled. instead of disorder they again came together and helped eachother as much as they could.
    so in case of such event in USA, Canada might be better. i wonder...

the question would be what to do in case of event such as nuclear meltdown, strife or something. say it's so bad you have to leave the country to be safe. and if you get to chose where to go i think the options i mentioned would still be good to me, if they were considered safe.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast