Thread: Network server or WAN server

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Network server or WAN server

I want to sync our Android calendars and contacts (2 people). I understand I can install a network server and connect via USB or WIFI to make the syncs. I can also install a server on my web page providers web space where I pay for a domain. The reason for considering the WAN is that it may come in useful at a later date because we do a lot of short/long haul travelling and access to data could be handy. I appreciate there may be security concerns though.

I ask for advice on which to choose bearing in mind my knowledge of mysql servers in negligible and of Linux, basic. However I am quite good at following guides

Beans

Re: Network server or WAN server

For two people, I would just suggest using Google Calendar and Google Contacts. You're on Android devices anyway, so it's not a big leap to start using those products. There's no need to reinvent the wheel unless you really don't want to use Google services.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by newbie-user View Post
    For two people, I would just suggest using Google Calendar and Google Contacts. You're on Android devices anyway, so it's not a big leap to start using those products. There's no need to reinvent the wheel unless you really don't want to use Google services.
    I am not a fan of either of those products and also, I enjoy learning something new in Linux. For that I need another project and thought this could be a good one.

Edit: I may have given the wrong impression! I want to sync a PC and both phones, not just both phones to each other.

The PC uses Mozilla Thunderbird Lightening calendar. My phone uses the default Mi 4i calendar and the other phone uses the default iPhone 6s.
    Last edited by makem2; September 27th, 2016 at 08:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Scrub this question. Apparenty to host it on the WAN I need an un-managed server which my host sells as a VPS hosting separate to my current server but I cannot justify the monthly cost for my use.