Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Lenovo Yoga PCs may have storage controllers unsupported by Linux

Beans

Some Lenovo Yoga PCs may have storage controllers unsupported by Linux

I got a reply from Lenovo on my Best Buy review about why the BIOS on my Yoga 900 ISK2 UltraBook has been set to stop people from using Linux.

---
    Lenovo Product Expert
    September 20, 2016
    This system has a Signature Edition of Windows 10 Home installed. It is locked per our agreement with Microsoft.
    ---

This is related to the discussion going on Lenovo's forum's about why the SSD is locked in a proprietary RAID mode that Linux doesn't understand.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-D...g/td-p/3339206

I've attached a screenshot of my review and Lenovo's reply.

http://imgur.com/a/niewu

So they admitted that this is now a requirement for Signature PCs.

So be warned that if you buy a "Microsoft Signature PC", it may not be allowed to run Linux, per Microsoft.

The Yoga 900 ISK2 at Best Buy is not labeled as a Signature Edition PC, but apparently it is one, and Lenovo's agreement with Microsoft includes making sure Linux can't be installed.
    Last edited by baronhk; September 21st, 2016 at 05:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Microsoft Signature PC Requirements now blocks Linux installation

Not sure if this is where this should be posted.

I came across these two articles at Slashdot.org
    https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...orts?sdsrc=rel

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/...linux-installs

Should unsuspecting buyers be warned before purchasing Lenovo Yoga 900 ISK2 UltraBook?
    Last edited by vasa1; September 22nd, 2016 at 01:23 AM. Reason: fixed bbcode
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Re: Warning: Microsoft Signature PC program now requires that you can't run Linux.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...inux_installs/

"Unsupported models will rely on Linux operating system vendors releasing new kernel and drivers to support features such as RAID on SSD," he added. "Unfortunately, I cannot confirm our relationship to the person at Best Buy."

Basically, if you want to install Linux, you need a kernel with the required SSD driver.
    And this is what one of the Linux kernel authorities is reported to have said:
    We reached out to Greg Kroah-Hartman, one of the leading kernel developers, and he said, “We support more raid controllers than any other operating system, and we support software raid as well (recommended over hardware raid as it doesn't lock you into any one host controller vendor.)”

Commenting on the whole saga, Kroah-Hartman said “It's just a ‘look, another odd storage controller that Linux might not support, but no one really knows as they don't have the hardware to test it with…’ issue."
    Last edited by vasa1; September 22nd, 2016 at 02:19 AM.

Beans

Re: Warning: Microsoft Signature PC program now requires that you can't run Linux.

So is this the thread source of the rumor before spread it wildfire became an article many sites & facebook?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have seen all the fuss about this on Google+. Is it any surprise that a Microsoft branded product will only support a Microsoft branded OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It is indeed surprising.

When a company has a near-total monopoly normal legislation would prevent it from advancing their monopoly even further. In most other kinds of business this would have been brought to court. Remember that Microsoft has been suing Google for abusing their search engine dominance.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

on the other hand it seems this is the same as for all new hardware with proprietary drivers. at first it only supports MS (or Apple), Linux support is provided (if ever) only a few months (if not a year) afterwards.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    It is indeed surprising.

When a company has a near-total monopoly normal legislation would prevent it from advancing their monopoly even further. In most other kinds of business this would have been brought to court. Remember that Microsoft has been suing Google for abusing their search engine dominance.
    I don't really see how this is advancing Microsoft's monopoly.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I don't really see how this is advancing Microsoft's monopoly.
    Maybe in this way: that people cannot install Linux on certain machines? I carefully check in advance before buying a new machine. However, it is no longer a matter of a Bluetooth not working -- and the worst thing is that practically nobody cares about that any more.
    Last edited by Halbarad; October 2nd, 2016 at 05:28 PM.
    All in all, Linux is better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    It is indeed surprising.

There are hardware options out there - Dell equipment usually runs fine with Ubuntu. I suggest that people use common sense when making computer purchases, if their real plan is to run it with Linux and not its Windows branded default OS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast